Fondant With Whipped Cream Frosting?

Decorating By Princess35 Updated 29 May 2010 , 6:07pm by Princess35

Princess35 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a nautical themed sheet cake this week. The client wants whipped cream as frosting...which obviously needs to be refrigerated...but I was thinking of doing a marbled blue/white fondant top to mimic the ocean. Not sure if I'm just nervous...but is it okay to refrigerate after the fondant is on top? I was also thinking of maybe just doing a blue buttercream top if not.

For some reason I'm freaking out thinking that something will bleed onto the whipped cream sides and border!!!!!

Help Please icon_confused.gif !!!

7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #2 of 8

You cannot use fondant on whipped cream icing. It will melt the fondant.

hollyml Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 8

Why not just tint the whipped cream frosting blue?

conchita Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess35

I'm making a nautical themed sheet cake this week. The client wants whipped cream as frosting...which obviously needs to be refrigerated...but I was thinking of doing a marbled blue/white fondant top to mimic the ocean. Not sure if I'm just nervous...but is it okay to refrigerate after the fondant is on top? I was also thinking of maybe just doing a blue buttercream top if not.

For some reason I'm freaking out thinking that something will bleed onto the whipped cream sides and border!!!!!

Help Please icon_confused.gif !!!

I have not used whipped cream, but I always use pastry pride, and I also use bettercreme from rich's and Grand American whipptopping from Rich's too. they have regular,chocolate and double chocolate.

I never had a problem before it works perfect with fondant
here is a link of another person who frosted her cake with whipptopping and then she put fondant decorations:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1475876

if you are not comfortable doing it like this, then you should try making a small one like a week before just to practice. if you look under my pictures you will se the anniversary cake and it was done like this.

good luck

sweettreat101 Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:12am
post #5 of 8

I use Frostin Pride whipped frosting with fondant. I have never had any problems. Frost the cakes and let them sit and crust a little then apply your fondant decorations. My star cake was frosted in Frostin Pride.

Aimomo26 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8

I don't know if this will help but I have made "ocean" looking bases by making a light blue frosting and then adding a little dark blue and mixing it just enough to kind of marble the frosting so when you frost it form peaks and it looks like the ocean...

I'm not sure if thats what you are going for but it might be a good alternative to fondant... Otherwise I would think you could use the whipped cream in between the layers and just use a thin bc crumb coat before putting on the fondant

Princess35 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately this was a last minute order...it's for tomorrow!!! So I don't have much time to practice and def can't afford to have a disaster happen. So I'm going to do the sides in whipped cream and frost the top in buttercream so I can still do some sort of decoration.

Will let you know how it comes out...thanks again!!! thumbs_up.gif

Princess35 Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 8

Cake turned out okay. Ended up using whipped cream as filling and for sides of cake. Decorated the top in buttercream. Posted picture under retirement cakes. Thanks again for all the input

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%