How Much To Charge

Decorating By fortheloveofsweets Updated 26 May 2010 , 9:29pm by cgm_cakes

fortheloveofsweets Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #1 of 17

I'm making two 8 inch cakes. Both filled with fruit and covered with fondant. One will be zebra print and the other will be cheetah print. The total cost of ingredients will be about 55-60. But im unsure on how much to charge for the cakes. I know a lot of websites say to triple the cost of the ingredients but 150 sounds like too much to charge. Any suggestions? Would it be tacky to ask the client about their budget?

16 replies
Minstrelmiss Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #2 of 17

24 serving per cake....2 cakes...48 servings times your base price. This sounds like a $3+ per serving cake, which puts you at the $150 mark....

minicuppie Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 17

No, that is good business. You need to know the budget and how many servings needed. 2 8in cakes will yield about 40 servings if you use the Wilton party serving cutting chart. Your ingredients (from what you posted) alone will be about $1.50 per serving..you need to think about your time, electricity, paper products (rounds, boxes), delivery and the biggie YOUR EXPERIENCE! You didn't mention what area you service, but when I used to bake for profit my fondant cakes started at 6 dollars per serving. The gourmet flavors and time consuming detail work upped the price. OBTW...you did get a deposit, right?

mrswendel Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #4 of 17

Most people do a price per serving.....an 8 inch round serves 24, so you would have 48 servings total (based on a 4 inch tall cake). My price would be $3.50/serving for fondant, so $168. And it is never tacky to ask about a budget...what if they say they have budgeted for $50 total for the 2 cakes....then you are doing them at a loss and that isn't right! icon_smile.gif

fortheloveofsweets Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 17

so i quoted her both the cakes at 120. Which is much lower than what you all said because she is a family friend But even that is too much money for her to spend. Do people not realise how much cakes cost? What is wrong with people. Ill never make a profit at that rate.

hensor Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 17

No people don't realize what cakes cost...they are used to getting them for $20 bucks at a grocery store. I would just kindly tell your customer that for her budget that is where she is going to have to go.
... and good luck finding one that will cover it with fondant or fill it with fruit.

Sucrea Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 17

I am so going through the same thing. I was asked about a half sheet graduation cake. She said simple so I came up with $50 for a half chocolate with fudge filling and half vanilla with raspberry filling, buttercream with a fondant cap and diploma. Is my price way off? I just keep thinking that she will say that she can go and purchase a cake like at costco for $25.

fortheloveofsweets Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensor

No people don't realize what cakes cost...they are used to getting them for $20 bucks at a grocery store. I would just kindly tell your customer that for her budget that is where she is going to have to go.
... and good luck finding one that will cover it with fondant or fill it with fruit.

Thank you! I was so excited to do these cakes too. And now i'm so bummed that she may not order them. I asked her for her budget and what she would be willing to spend so i guess i have to wait and see.

MaryFLOcala Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 17

Having people like your work but want it for free is hard.Most of us would do it for free just because we love the challenge and reward of making something that others enjoy. I at first always felt Guilty, Guilty, Guilty when going over the budget especially with a friend or family member that I knew was on a bugdet. But in order to move forward in your craft you have to charge what you are worth, just be honest from the start and don't let your feelings be hurt when you lose a job or two over money. Just be flattered that you were their 1st choice.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrea

I am so going through the same thing. I was asked about a half sheet graduation cake. She said simple so I came up with $50 for a half chocolate with fudge filling and half vanilla with raspberry filling, buttercream with a fondant cap and diploma. Is my price way off? I just keep thinking that she will say that she can go and purchase a cake like at costco for $25.

I think $50 should be fine, if not on the bargain side. Yes, she can go get a cheaper cake at Costco, but as far as I know they don't do custom half and half flavors or customize their designs, you're getting flowers or rainbows or balloons. Stick to your prices thumbs_up.gif

Minstrelmiss Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 17

$120...be sure to let her know it's your friends and family discount. You wouldn't want her sharing how cheap she got the cakes with her friends or you may get a bunch of people calling for the same cakes at the same price!

cakesbymark Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

thatss very cheap...i charge $50 for a basic 1 layer half sheet cake...
to do all that you are losing money...

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymark

Quote:

thatss very cheap...i charge $50 for a basic 1 layer half sheet cake...
to do all that you are losing money...

I agree. $50 is my basic 1 layer half sheet too. That cake with fondant decorations and a filling would be at least $150 for me.

The best advice I ever got was "don't cut yourself short". Yes, I want to do some orders, but I will not. It's a hard thing to say "no", but you have to or these people will continuously see you as a pushover. There will be people that will buy your cakes at your prices. My business has grown significantly over the last month or two at my full price. I even had someone yesterday who ordered an 8" round german chocolate cake very simple design. I quoted him $45. His response was "That's all? My wife is going to love it. This is her favorite cake!" There are people out there who appreciate a good custom made cake and will pay for it. icon_smile.gif

fortheloveofsweets Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 17

Well I talked to her again. And am trying to convince her to let me make one 8 inch cake and two dozen cupcakes. So hopefuly she thinks that over and allows me to.

cgm_cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofsweets

Well I talked to her again. And am trying to convince her to let me make one 8 inch cake and two dozen cupcakes. So hopefuly she thinks that over and allows me to.

Don't try and convince her to "let" you do the cake, it puts her in control of negotiating what you'll charge her. It also looks like you're desperate for the work which means she'll negotiate an even lower price.

cakesbymark Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofsweets

Don't try and convince her to "let" you do the cake, it puts her in control of negotiating what you'll charge her. It also looks like you're desperate for the work which means she'll negotiate an even lower price.

very well said

cgm_cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Quote:

I think $50 should be fine, if not on the bargain side. Yes, she can go get a cheaper cake at Costco, but as far as I know they don't do custom half and half flavors or customize their designs, you're getting flowers or rainbows or balloons. Stick to your prices thumbs_up.gif

If you want to make the cake for free that price is fine since you'll make NO profit. My half sheet cake (12x1icon_cool.gif, single layer torted and fille, iced in buttercream starts at $100. This cake is actually 2 1/4 sheet cakes put together since you're making them different flavors. Add in the fondant accessories and I would charge $175 for this cake.

If you want to make a living off making cakes, charge what your time is worth, not just your ingredients. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%