Sugar Veil Questions??

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 26 May 2010 , 1:57pm by cakes47

anasazi17 Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi There!

I just received my 1st order of Sugar Veil and I am so excited...but I have one or two questions that I cant seem to find on here, youtube, or their site.

On my 1st batch I don't think I got the correct consistency, when I go to re-whip it tomorrow can I add more hot h2o to get the desired consistancy?

I really want to make bows, is there a substitute for wafer paper that I can use as support?

If you have any other helpful tips I would love to hear themicon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!!

9 replies
amie202 Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 10

re-whipping the sugar veil stuff rarely works - use it all up!

Use saran wrap to support your bows it won't stick the sugar veil. Sugar veil gets VERY brittle in 24 hours be careful - good luck -

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 10

I'm watching this closely because that's the next big ticket item I'm interested in, but I haven't seen any tutorials or videos on it. Does anyone know if there are any available?

anasazi17 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #4 of 10
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm watching this closely because that's the next big ticket item I'm interested in, but I haven't seen any tutorials or videos on it. Does anyone know if there are any available?

I have found some on youtube (by the Sugar Veil folks) that are pretty good. I purchased the video with my order. It is very helpful, but left some questions unanswered. So far I think it is going to be a cool product to use. I can't wait to hear what fellow CC people think!

Jenn2179 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

Let me tell you I would use it all the time to make bows. You can get them so much more realistic. I made this bow using sugarveil. People thought it was a real bow.

sberryp Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 10

I love the bow! What is sugar veil and how do you do it?

Jenn2179 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10
This is the website.

emilyg Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 10

Hi Jenny,

There are several options for supports for the bows - wafer paper, rice noodles placed in the folded hem (find them at Asian grocery stores), or a SugarVeil line made with the Confectionery Comb placed at the bow's edge (see example below). Here's what I usually do:

After you make the bow, crush/roll a small piece of parchment paper and place inside the loop until the bow has a chance to dry a bit. Place the bow on the cake shortly before delivering, and then remove the paper pieces. If you've folded a hem for the bow, or used the Confectionery Combed line at the edge of the bow, chances are it won't need additional support at all.

If you are in a humid area, give the bow a period to dry a bit, then take a finger swipe of melted white chocolate and smear it inside of the bow to give it 3D support.

The texture of mixed SugarVeil changes if you store it a day or two, and everyone has preferences on how they like to work with it. Firstly, we find that we like to let SugarVeil rest an hour after mixing. Then we go ahead and stencil it, comb lines into it, or spread it into a sheet the same day. But we like to use it the next day if we're using it in the Lace Confectioners' Mat (here's the link to see the Mat: You need to rebeat it (by hand is O.K.) for 30 seconds or so; it will have a thinner consistency than the previous day.

Most people will use up all the SugarVeil they mix to make decorations - bows, stenciled scrolls, monograms, etc., then store them air tight until they are ready to use them

Note that you can mix up less than 1 cup at a time if you use a hand mixer that can reach into that small of an amount at the bottom of the bowl.

Always use the proportions of 1 c. SugarVeil to 1/3 c. plus 2Tbl. boiling water and beat on high for 4 minutes. Here are the newest instructions for using SugarVeil: Also, there are several videos that you might want to see here:

You asked about adding water the next day. If you feel you need to do so, add the water in drops, as a tiny bit of additional water will go a long way.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you - I'm happy to help. You can email me at

Thank you,

Michele at SugarVeil

cakes47 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 10

Hi Michelle ~ I just clicked on this link you gave & it says link no longer exists!!
I haven't tried the other links yet.

cakes47 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 10

Me again ~ I just tried the link again but using it out of my reply. It worked fine this time!!!
Cyberspace......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%