Help!!!!!!!!! Baby Carriage Cake

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:33am by KatieKake

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

I have a baby carriage cake do for a baby shower in 2days and my problem is the carriage hood has to dry for 2days but u have to form it over an egg shape wilton egg pan to get the shape, i tried every where and i cant get that pan and i need it to night does anyone have any other ideas of how to get that shape of a pan. Thanx in advance for any help u can give. I put a pic of the cake so u could she my problem.
LL

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 9

May I ask what you were planning to make the carriage hood out of that needs two days to dry? (fondant, gumpaste?) The photo looks like cake. If you have the oval pans (not half egg shape) that appear to have been used for the rest of the cake, I'd use thatbake another layer, cut it in half, and carve out the rest of the shape.

CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 9

Ops... no handleI guess it's a bassinette!

barnes113 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

sorry i put the wrong pic of the cake, the correct pic is at the bottom and when i listen to the directions it says that the top is going to be made with royal icing and it said that i would have to dry it for 2days...now the image below is made of ruffles i couldnt transfer the pic that was made of royal icing for some reasons but this is the cake that i'm trying to make
LL
LL

CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 9

Okay... here's a thought. Since we can't really see what's on the back of the hood, and it looks pretty much covered in Tuk 'N Ruffle lace anyway, how about making your royal icing form now on the back of the appropriate sized cake pan that you have (covered in Saran Wrap of course). When it's thoroughly dry in two days, prop it on the cake, and add many layers of the Tuk 'N Ruffle lace to build up the backside of the hood shape. You could add extra buttercream to fill in or build up some of the space... it shouldn't breakdown the royal icing once it's already dry. Have fun!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #6 of 9

Okay - here's my response...it's a "cheaty" way to do it but....couldn't you fake it? I mean, there's got to be a tupperware container this shape. If you're gonna cover it with the ruffles, can you save yourself the stress that way?

I know, it's way more impressive to make the royal icing form. And maybe you're not stressed over it. I sure would be!!! I'm not an expert caker at all. So, consider the source! Ha!

Just a thought. At least, a back up plan? You could always hide the inside with icing.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 9

Hi, I've made a similar cake 5 times first time I made the top out of cake which I carved here it is:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/4021317918_0e989b826f_b.jpg

The next time I wanted to try making the top out of gum paste, I planned to use an oval pan to do the bed part so I used it as the template to build my support for the hood to dry on. I shaped Floam (a kid toy available in the craft section on Walmart) I molded this stuff (which is reusable) to size once I liked the shape I covered it in plastic wrap the covered that with the gum paste let it dry 7 days.

Here is my cake: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/4510199126_06c13649eb_b.jpg

I honestly do not feel 2 days in enough time to dry this adequately you'll probably have less headache if you make the hood out of cake.

Good luck!

barnes113 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 9

thank u guys sooooooooo much for all ur help. I knew that the wonderful people on cc wouldnt let me down, icon_biggrin.gif THANK U CAKE GODS, u guys r the best.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #9 of 9

I would make the hood out of chocolate, sets up fast, and will work great if it isn't too warm, You could also use gum paste, that drys pretty fast, two days should be enough time for it to dry, even a 50/50 gum paste and fondant should be dry in two days. I would not even waste my time on Royal icing, because it won't be dry enough. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%