Cake Boards

Decorating By mamamade Updated 26 May 2010 , 5:12pm by mamamade

mamamade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamamade Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 10

I am very new to this and was wondering about cake boards. I purchased the cardboard ones from Michaels and found them too thin. Can you purchase them thicker or do you make them yourself? I used an oblong board and thought my cake was going to fold in half..Mine are very plain..

9 replies
Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 10

I'm interested in an answer to this too. I've used two board stacked and glued together for heavier cakes, but I was wondering if they make anything sturdier.

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 10

Sugarshack has all kinds of great tips in her dvd's including using 1/2 inch foam core boards that you can get at craft stores. I have not tried them yet but they look really sturdy

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 10

I cut mine out of foam core (which I buy when it's 50% off of 1.99) . I also bought a thing to cut the foam core at Hobby Lobby for about 13 bucks..works great.

Don't ya just love You Tube?

mamamade Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you for the responses. I am going to try the foam core boards tomorrow..BTW, Youtube is my best friend...lol..I have learned so much by just watching "how to's"

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #6 of 10

I always use carboard cake circles. I use them single between tiers on my tiered cakes and for my cake base I tape 3 or 4 of them together and cover with whatever kind of paper, fabric or material that I'm using, then add a ribbon around that.

I would never use just one of them to support a cake. If it's a two layer 8" cake I use two of them. Foamcore isn't always available to me so I've made these work for me and I've never had any trouble with them supporting my cakes.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #7 of 10

you can get nice thick cake drums that are white or covered in gold or silver foil, fondant source .com (no spaces) sells them for a great price.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:39am
post #8 of 10

I use either the Wilton cake drums - the ones that come covered in silver already - if I want a plain base. Sometimes I completely decorate the board to match the cake, so I glue 3 cardboard rounds together, cover with fondant, and wrap with coordinating ribbon. I like covering with coordinating fondant so that I can use different impression mats to give the board a neat texture sometimes!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:06am
post #9 of 10

For my squares and rectangles I have plywood or pressboard that I have cut to size and cover in foil. I need to make some round ones cause I LOOOOVE how sturdy the boards feel!

mamamade Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone for the input..all the info is so helpful..now, time to price compare..icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%