Groom's Cake?!?!

Decorating By cakes47 Updated 26 May 2010 , 12:06pm by cakes47

cakes47 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi ~ I just received an e-mail from a friend titled, ''Did You Know''. It lists a multitude of little blurbs of all sorts of info. One that caught my eye was the following:
''The top layer of a wedding cake, known as the groom's cake, traditionally is a fruit cake. That way it will save until the first anniversery.''
Has anyone heard of this? I always thought the groom's cake was a separate one made in an interest of the groom.

6 replies
Karen421 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

Nope! Never heard that. In the South, (where I am) the groom's cake is as you said, something the groom is interested in. A hobby, past time, college theme, etc. But you learn something new every day!!

prterrell Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 7

Sounds like a bit of made-up trivia written by someone who has a garbled understanding of the history of British wedding cakes.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:17am
post #4 of 7

Here is some more about groom's cakes that is interesting:

The Groom's cake, started as a fruitcake, which was a small square or rectangle cake. This was decorated in marzipan and placed beside the wedding cake. The cake was later cut and packaged for the guests to take home. If the single women slept with the small piece of cake under their pillows they would apparently dream of their future husbands. Today's groom cakes can be any shape, size or style of cake. This tradition is celebrated largely in the Southern part of the US, but is slowly being discovered everywhere else.

http://www.bellaonline.net/articles/art28010.asp

Here is another site with more interesting info. icon_smile.gif

The Groom's Cake. . . Its Origins and Modern Transformation http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/guide/g-cake.htm

Karen421 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:36am
post #5 of 7

My grandmother use to say that also, only it was to sleep with a piece of the wedding cake under your pillow, to dream about your future husband. Not a groom's cake, but she was from England, and I don't believe they had groom's cakes back then. (I could be wrong)

artscallion Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

My grandmother use to say that also, only it was to sleep with a piece of the wedding cake under your pillow, to dream about your future husband. Not a groom's cake, but she was from England, and I don't believe they had groom's cakes back then. (I could be wrong)

My grandmother used to say the same thing about a piece of the wedding cake under the pillow. She was born here. But her parents were from Lithuania. Grooms cakes are not at all common around here. Though they're showing up more and more with brides seeing them on cake shows now.

cakes47 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 7

It did sound plausable that the top tier be the groom's cake!! icon_smile.gif
Thanks everyone for responding to this. Thanks too to ''Mama_Mias_Cakes'' for
the interesting links!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%