Ack! Chocolate Ganache Help Please!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 26 May 2010 , 6:06pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 12

I am making chocolate ganache for the first time. I just finished making it and its consistency is like thick chocolate milk is that right? Will it get thicker as it sets? I am planning on whipping it tomorrow to fill and ice a cake. Also, it is a much lighter chocolate than I was expecting. Is there a different recipe for a dark chocolate ganache? The recipe I used is 1/2 lb. semi sweet chocolate and 1 qt of heavy cream. Is that the correct ratio?? Thanks!

11 replies
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know what your ratio's are like there but I use the same amount of chocolate as cream, so if it was say 200ml cream I'd use 200grams chocolate. Once it's melted into the cream I tend to chill for a few hours then whip, but not for too long else the cream will seperate. I have left this overnight before before whipping, and it went solid, I had to put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds before I could whip it! Once mixed with cream chocolate will get lighter, and once whipped it will turn lighter still. HTH

saffronica Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

Your ratio for dark chocolate ganache should be two parts chocolate to one part cream by WEIGHT (3:1 for white chocolate). So for 8 oz. of chocolate you only need 4 oz. (1/2 c.) cream, not 32 oz.

You can still save it, though. Just gently heat up your mixture and add more chopped chocolate, let it melt, and whisk. If you want a LOT of ganache, use your whole batch and add 3.5 pounds chocolate. If you don't need that much, just take out 1/3 c. of your mixture and add 7 oz. chocolate. This will take into account the chocolate already in there and give you the correct ratio.

Good luck!

multilayered Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 12

I have been making ganache for a very long time and my base ratio is 10oz chocolate to 1cup heavy cream.

princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 12

hmmm, maybe that's where I've been going wrong, not enough chocolate. When I did add more chocolate though I couldn't get it even the mixture even after whipping was just too stiff. Using equal weights is easier to work with but doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped - so I guess I need to use more chocolate again then!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 12

I also have the best luck with 2:1 dark chocolate(I use ghirardelli's 60% cacao bittersweet baking chips) and it's so excellent! Rich, dark, creamy and oh so decadent! Whips up nice and fluffy too! The best is when I add a bit of espresso or Kahlua to it YUM!!! I usually let it set up for around 30-60+ min depending what I need it for.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much for your replies! I was using a recipe for whipped ganache that I found here on cc. Obviously the proportions are off! Yikes. Hopefully I can save it or I'll just remake it tomorrow. Its just for a family cake to take to the lake this weekend so its no big deal but I'm glad I have figured this out now!

Peridot Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 12

Ganache, ganache, ganache....I can never get it right either.

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:50am
post #9 of 12

I never have any trouble. I use 2:1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. 12 ounces dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream.
12 ounces white chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream. If you do it this way it will come out perfect everytime. Easy Peasy.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I never have any trouble. I use 2:1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. 12 ounces dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream.
12 ounces white chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream. If you do it this way it will come out perfect everytime. Easy Peasy.

Okay, so two questions:

1. How do I know how much chocolate and cream I need to ice an 8 inch square?

2. Do I let it set up in the fridge overnight before whipping it?

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 12

[quote="confectionsofahousewife"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Okay, so two questions:

1. How do I know how much chocolate and cream I need to ice an 8 inch square? What I use for 8 inch cake
12 ounces of semi-sweet (has to be semi-sweet) chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons real butter
break chocolate up into pieces in glass bowl. heat heavy cream, sugar and butter to boiling. pour over chocolate and wait 5 minutes. stir until chocolate is melted and it's shiny. let sit at room tempaure for 24 hours before using.

2. Do I let it set up in the fridge overnight before whipping it?

NO

confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much! You've been most helpful. I'm off to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%