I Am Very Grateful, But I Do Not Remember Who To Thank

Decorating By funcakes Updated 29 May 2010 , 9:20pm by funcakes

funcakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 17

I was reading a post about cake levelers because I was suffering from agbay envy. I even saw one on Craig's List. The bid was $30. Then checked again and way over $100.

Someone added to the post that you could get a saw blade at the hardware store and put it in the place of the blade on the Wilton large cake leveler, which I already owned. So, hubby fixes it up.

From wimpy, wimpy, wimpy to hefty, hefty, hefty! It works GREAT!
So, whoever posted that idea-Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

16 replies
rosiecast Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 17

really? is it food safe? I love that idea.

FleurDeCake Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 17

thanks sooo much that is a great idea going to the hardware store in the am.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 17

Oh sure, after I get my spiffy new Agbay, THEN I hear this tip! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

rosiecast Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 17

Hey bob, you can always have a spare leveler. LOL

audrey0522 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 17

Do you use a a real fine saw blade or one with bigger "teeth"? Sounds like a great idea!

superstar Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #7 of 17

Wow! amazing tip.

LuvLyrics Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 17

OMG thanks for posting this b/c I never read the original post !!! You just saved me $$$

Thanks to you both !

funcakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 17

Bob-it works great like my Acura car works great, but it is not a BMW!

My husband, knower of all tools, picked up the blade so I can not tell you which one it is. It does have deeper teeth, but it does not tear the cake. When he replaced the blade and he used molly bolts to hold it in.

I am still hoping that someone claims the original idea so I can pm a personal thank you.

Anybody??

Melvira Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #10 of 17

Hmmm... i'm with Bob on this one. That information would've been REALLY cool to know before I spent a fortune on the AgBay and my Wilton leveler had a little 'accident' with a hammer. Hahaha!! But if I ever need a back up, at least I know that NOW, right? Thanks OP for sharing that info, and I hope you get to send your thanks to the right person! I know when you get a gem bit of info like that, you really want someone to know how much they helped you!! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hmmm... i'm with Bob on this one. That information would've been REALLY cool to know before I spent a fortune on the AgBay and my Wilton leveler had a little 'accident' with a hammer. Hahaha!!

Yours too? icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #12 of 17

Isn't it funny how those things happen? I guess I'm just a little too 'clumsy'. Yah, Clumsy. That's it. icon_twisted.gif

tiggy2 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 17

Would you post a photo of your transformed wilton leveler? TIA

CakesIMake Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 17

great idea! I too would love to see an after pic!

cs_confections Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 17

I remember seeing a thread like that. I thought I saved it but can't find it. I also remember that the poster had affixed wider acrylic feet to the bottom for stability. Someone had also mentioned that they used a cutting board they found at the dollar store - cut out feet to the size they wanted and attached them.

funcakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you for finding that. I looked and looked but didn't come up with the thread.
I will keep my day job and not give it up to become a detective! LOL

I don't know how to post a pic yet, but I will ask my friend and learn how to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%