"starting A Cake Business Today" Book Reviews

Decorating By SugarSugarDesserts Updated 27 May 2010 , 3:38am by JanH

SugarSugarDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSugarDesserts Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone read this book? I saw it in an advertisement on this site and wondered if anyone can tell me how the book is?

11 replies
fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:19am
post #2 of 12

I haven't read that book but I cannot recommend the book How to Open a Financially Successful Bakery enough. Just look at the index to see all the info the book covers. It is 284 pages if that lets you know just how in depth it goes!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 12

Just because something's advertised here doesn't mean it's going to be useful.

I looked on their website and it says it's about starting a cake business from home. Before you invest in a book, call your local health department and find out if it's even possible to have a bakery in your home, and what the requirements are. In some states it's easy to do, so easy you probably don't need a book, and in other states it's impossible.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

I haven't read that book but I cannot recommend the book How to Open a Financially Successful Bakery enough. Just look at the index to see all the info the book covers. It is 284 pages if that lets you know just how in depth it goes!

Did you mean you CAN recommend How to Open a Financially Successful Bakery?

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 12

I bought that book and it was a waste of money. It's geared toward a beginner starting a home business, not someone with experience wanting to open a commercial shop. It's just full of general info that should seem like common sense rather than specifics that would be useful. If you've done any research online or read any advice from others on cakecentral about starting a business then you already know more than what's in the book.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 12

I cannot recommend the book How to Open a Financially Successful Bakery enough

lol that means even if she tried she couldnt recomend it any more icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 12

Ah.. I didn't see the 'enough' after the book title!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 12

The author of "Starting a cake business today" is a member of cake central. If you want, I can give you her username and you can PM her and ask her about any questions you may have.

Just PM me if you want her username.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 12

I have that book, it's ok. I got it as a gift, wouldn't pay for it. I found most of the information on how to start business on this website.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 12

Someone from CC wrote a book on how to start a home business with no regard to the legalities? Surely this is addressed in the book, right? icon_confused.gif

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:30am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Someone from CC wrote a book on how to start a home business with no regard to the legalities? Surely this is addressed in the book, right? icon_confused.gif

I looked at the index on amazon and it doesn't look like it was covered at all. Not to much good info in the book from what I found.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%