Tips For First Fondant Cake

Decorating By Luvmyboys0609 Updated 26 May 2010 , 6:37pm by bates123

Luvmyboys0609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvmyboys0609 Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 6

I just made my first batch of MMF. It is all greased, wrapped and ready to go for tomorrow. I have square or circle pans. Which would be better to use for my first fondant cake? Do I cover cake with BC first or is there something better/easier to use? I would also like any tips or techniques to make this go as "smooth" as possible for me icon_razz.gif I am very excited and nervous!!

5 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 6

Use a round pan. Round is always easier to cover in fondant. Yes to your second question. You need at least a thin covering (crumbcoat) of icing underneath your fondant otherwise it won't stick to your cake.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

I agree with round! It would be much better to start with! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 6

I agree a round is easier to cover with fondant. You ask for tips to get the best results possible. Allowing your cake to settle after filling will prevent it from having a buldge. Making sure your buttercream isn't too thick will give better results. Making sure your crumbcoat is smooth is also important. Your fondant won't be smooth if the cake underneath isn't.

I suggest that you watch Planet Cakes tutorial on youtube "how to cover a cake with fondnat". It is one of the best tutorials to teach you the proper way to cover your cake.

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Luvmyboys0609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvmyboys0609 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks sooo much!! I will do a round cake and watch the video.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 6

I am by no means an expert like some of the people on here, but I read that if you spray the cake with a little mist of water before applying the fondant it will make it stay on better with less bubbles. It worked for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%