Can I Save It

Decorating By pinksugarmama Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:05pm by emrldsky

pinksugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugarmama Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

I am having a cupcake bouqet disaster, first the icing is plooping off the cupcakes and I didn't over do it. second the cakes are coming away from the wrappers and third some of the actual tops are coming off and seperating from the whole cake. Is it possible to save or am I going to have to start over. what did I do wrong?

6 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 7

ugh, I made a cupcake bouquet ONCE (that should say it all) and was a bundle of nerves the whole time. only suggestion I would say is to use very sturdy shortening based frosting if you try it again.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 7

i dont think it sounds savable. to me it sounds like something is worng with the actual cakes if they are peeling away from wrappers and falling apart, what recipe did you use? have you used it before?

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 7

I heard of this one I think!!!!

Somebody had posted something about the cool time and the cupcake wrappers coming off. I guess, if you leave your cupcakes in the pan too long, the moisture will build up somehow and cause the cake to pull away from the papers.

Are you leaving the cupcakes cool in the pans for a long while before lifting them out?

Oh - I think there was talk about how somebody put their cupcakes in the fridge before they were completely cool & again, the moisture thing happened some how and the cakes shrunk away from the papers?

Did you put them in the fridge?

I don't really know for sure...but maybe you're doing one of those two things. If you are, maybe that's why your wrappers are coming off?

As far as the icing, I'm not sure about that unless your cupcakes were still warm. Good Luck to you!!!

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #5 of 7

Hey pinksugarmama,

I have made cup cake bouquets a few times. First time I made it I took all the frosted cupcakes to my friends house and assembled the thing 10 min before the party hehe icon_lol.gif

But now I keep the cup cakes in the fridge after frosting them for a few hrs, before setting them in the bouquet. Just to make sure that my cupcakes are not too soft and the butter cream has crusted well.

HTH good luck

pinksugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugarmama Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 7

Well I ended up starting from scratch, lol. I looked on here and found the genious idea of little cups, Holy cow it save my life and my cupcakes. I think it was the toothpicks fault that's my story and I'm sticking to it, hehe. Thanks for the suggestions and now I know a few more things to DO and NOT to do.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 7

I was gonna suggest using cups. I tried it ONCE without and yep, the wrappers peeled off.

The other thing is to ice the cupcakes and leave them alone for a while. I've gotten ahead of myself before and put the cupcakes on right after adding the icing...and PLOP! There went the icing. icon_sad.gif

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%