How To Avoid The Bulge?

Decorating By Bakersaurus Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:23am by LindaF144a

Bakersaurus Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hey all!

I made my first MMF cake this past weekend and it didn't turn out quite the way I'd hoped for. Mainly the sides.. you could SEE where I'd cut the layers :S No matter how much I smoothed the cake out you could still see the sides. I didn't think that I'd rolled it out too thin, but perhaps I did? Also it was a very hot day and my B/C wasn't firming up as well as usual.

I have a tonne more cake orders from friends coming up.. apparently word of mouth spreads like wild fire and I'm now considering slowly turning this into a business rather than just for fun lol who knows. With that said I'm afraid of this happening every time. The top parts were awesome but the sides looked like they were bulging and I could see every layer of the cake :S

My friend LOVED the cake and told me it surpassed anything she could have imagined so I'm not too upset. I'm thinking that I spot every single flaw because I made it, still though if I can avoid this bulging on the sides I would love that!

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I rolled the fondant out to about 1/8 inch even all the way around and it turned out very smooth and no cracks and wonderful! So I think the prob was with the cake rather than the MMF

OH p.S I can post pics soon I hope ( My PC at home is dead atm so I'm posting from work ( shift is over no worries ) )

11 replies
bashini Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, if you can buy Sugarshack's bc or Fondant video or maybe both. She shows how to prevent bulging. ITs fab!!!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 12

Use a stiff BC dam between the layers then fill. Let cake settle over night or 5-6 hrs. before applying final coat of BC and fondant.

SpringFlour Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 12

I always procrastinate and want to decorate as soon as I've torted and filled, and I always get a bulge. BUT, just ONE time, I had planned ahead and torted and filled the day before I needed to decorate and guess what? No bulge. Well, there was a little bulge, but I was able to smooth it away before I covered it. The lesson here? LET THE CAKE SETTLE!

I always followed the "Use a stiff dam" advice, and was frustrated that no matter how stiff the dam was, I still got the bulge. Letting the cake settle is the answer.

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 12

Good for you SpringFlour! I see people post all the time "for some reason my cake settled". Cakes settle. They just do. That's why it's important to wait until they have settled BEFORE moving to the next step.

Happy to hear your cake turned out perfect this time. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 12

I used Leah's method and it worked great on my last cake.

I find cake decorating to be hurry up and wait kind of thing. It's not one of those things where I can just devote a slot of time because of all the resting, and cooling and settling that has to go on. Never knew. icon_rolleyes.gif

ylescu Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:39am
post #8 of 12

On a BC frosted cake, do you let it settle in the fridge on just at room temp?

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:25am
post #9 of 12
Originally Posted by ylescu

On a BC frosted cake, do you let it settle in the fridge on just at room temp?

Room tempature. If you're talking about american bc.

Bakersaurus Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 12

Wow Awesome tips I would never have thought of the tile smooshing technique. I've 2 cakes to do this weekend and will try letting them settle and all that jazz... Hopefully it helps!!!

cgm_cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 12

Wow. Great tips. I NEVER would have even considered "squishing" my cake. Who knew.

Leah - do you do this with every cake?

LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #12 of 12

I did this again with my Wilton cake that I made today. I made one for me and one for my daughter. These were smaller than normal cakes, so I used a book for each cake instead, choosing ones that were about 1 lb. Worked great, no bulge.

Now the heat in the room and what it did to my frosting is another story......

Quote by @%username% on %date%