Dark Burgundy Fondant With Shine??

Decorating By hvanaalst Updated 27 May 2010 , 7:58am by sweettreat101

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 3

My sister's father in law's birthday is this weekend and they asked me to make him a harley themed cake. He just bought a new one a couple weeks ago and it is a dark burgundy color. Any tips on making that from fondant. I would like to start with chocolate fondant but his wife is allergic to chocolate. I am wishing right now I had an airbrush. Also, is there a trick to making it shiny?

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:32am
post #2 of 3

You could use confectioner's glaze. I've gotten it from country kitchen. It makes fondant nice and shiny.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:58am
post #3 of 3

If you are wanting shiny just rub a little shortening on the finished product like my purses in the pictures. If you are looking for something more pearl like you can purchase fondant glaze. I use the pearl and add whatever food color gel I desire. It doesn't take much food color. Then taking a artist brush paint the glaze over the fondant. Let it sit thirty minutes and paint again until you achieve the desired effect. Fondantsource carries it for 2.49. I just ordered the pearl and the silver since their prices were so reasonable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%