A & M Cakes, Need Ideas And Color How To

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 26 May 2010 , 5:02pm by marthajo1

2txmedics Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a Texas A & M cake soon, next month....I need to know how to get the burgundy color of the school and I need ideas of how to do the cake.

Any pics out there of any cakes??? I'd appreciate it...its for a family party of 50

6 replies
RetiredNavyChief Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

Isnt Texas A&M horns?

Marianna46 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

The longhorns are the University of Texas! Big rivals! I've gotten a decent burgundy with red, black and violet, but I'm sorry to day I can't remember the proportions. Anybody else have an idea?

mistiscake Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 7

I'm making a Texas A&M cake for my nephew this weekend. I made the maroon fondant today. I started by mixing a red then put just a little black. You have to kind of eyeball it. I've never really been good getting things to come out to the color I want using ratios before. So I can't offer you a step by step instruction of it. icon_sad.gif I can offer you a tip. If you are using fondant, try to get to a lighter shade of maroon than you want. Once the fondant sets up it will darken. I wish I could offer more help.

mayhem68 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 7

Americolor makes a maroon soft gel paste (Color # 233 I think). I used it last weekend for a last minute graduation cake for a student from Texas A&M-Central Texas. Mixed it with white Satin Ice and it came out an exact match to the invitation, t-shirt and tassel I was given for color comparison.

My stencil work was a little sloppy since I only had a couple of hours to decorate, but I've attached a pic of the cake I made so you can see the color.

Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

Gorgeous cake, mayhem68, and what a lovely color! Wish I could get some of that where I live (I can, but I have to pay a 40% import tax, so it's prohibitive).

marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 7

Here are some cakes in the gallery.... a lot of them are just texas cakes but I think on page two there were several that were Texas A&M

Quote by @%username% on %date%