Am I Crazy...outdoor Party In July!

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 26 May 2010 , 9:55pm by mamawrobin

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 14

I'm having my 4 year old daughter's party at a park at the end of July...in Florida icon_surprised.gif

I plan on making a 2 tiered cake. I will be using the Wilton BC (shortening & butter) for both the icing & filling. There is a picnic pavilion, but no AC of any kind. I'm concerned about a 2 tier cake in that kind of heat.

Just curious if anyone has done this successfully without the cake falling apart. The party will be in the late morning (when the heat isn't quite as bad) and the cake will be outdoors for about an hour and half before being cut.

Thoughts??? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 14

I have only had a few outdoor summer cakes, but I don't think I would want to take the chance. My best advice is to go with a BC with all shortening and no butter, such as Indydebi's that is proven to hold up in heat and humidity.

Maybe some Floridians will chime in with more tips or experience with the Wilton BC. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 14

I wouldn't use butter in the bc. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening and will not hold up to the heat and humidity especially in July. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and I know for a fact that it holds up to at least 100 degrees. I live in Arkansas and our spring/summer months are HOT and HUMID the same as yours. Her buttercream taste awesome as well. I've actually had people ask me if I used shortening in my buttercream. It has dream whip in it and I think that is one reason it taste so much better than most buttercreams.

Maria925 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 14

Thanks!! I think I will try Indydebi's recipe. I keep reading so many good things about it! I have kept away from all shortening recipes because they are so greasy tasty so I'm curious to see how this recipe turns out! icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 14

I made a butter-based buttercream for my niece's 1st birthday, the cake was outside at a party in the heat & sun and it turned the icing rancid. Definitely use shortening. I use SugarShack's recipe & absolutely love it.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 14

no offense but you are out of your mind.
If your idea of late morning is anything after 9 am
you might as well forget it.
I'm not trying to scare you but I've lived in Florida for almost 20years now. i see you are in Jacksonville- I'm in west palm and ironically it gets hotter up by you than down by me because we are a lot closer to the ocean.
by9 am its going to be close to 90o and at least 75% humidity.
If you insist on doing this- get a gigantic cooler lined with ice and keep the cake in there. Its going to sweat like crazy when you take it out though, but its the only thing that might give you a fighting chance.
If you had any intentions on having it out for display you need to rethink it.

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #7 of 14

I think if you use Indydebi's recipe the cake will be fine. I would not put it in the fridge or in a cooler though. That will only cause problems. Edna lives in Florida as well and says that she never refrigerates her cakes. If you don't start with a cold cake the humidity won't be an issue. Refrigerating this cake will be a disaster. Been there, done that.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #8 of 14

I have thought this but not said yet in the forums, I'm so glad I live in non-humid Southern CA & don't have to deal with that issue! Sounds like it is something you must seriously contend with.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #9 of 14

maybe store it in those large styrofoam coolers w/ an ice pack until it's cake time?

this is what i have:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=83503

the cooler dimensions are 25-1/2" x 16-1/4" x 12-3/8". since it's just a 2 tier cake, it'll probably fit. would also keep it shaded, away from bugs, and protect it from bumps until it's time to serve.

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #10 of 14

Phoenix, August - Monsoon season - Outside temp, 118, humidity at 65% (that's high for here...)

I was able to make it work. I agree - NON butter BC frosting, and if at all possible make sure your cakes are room temp - not frozen - when you take them out (otherwise you get the water from the thawing cake, and that'll lead to all sorts of issues!)

good luck. I can't possibly imagine the humidity you have out there. More power to you!

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #11 of 14

I agree with Auryn. It will be too hot for any icing with butter in it. I just did a cake last week with 50/50 butter and shortening- and the icing was sliding off the side of the cake- in a 20 minute delivery.
If you are worried about the 'greasy' taste of the shortening- first, remember to beat the heck out of the shortening- before you add anything else. Give it a try the next time you make butter cream- that way you don't have to worry about it on party day.
You might also consider hi-ratio shortening.
Good luck

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:26am
post #12 of 14

I agree about beating the shortening. One thing I love about Indydebi's recipe is that it only has 1 1/3 cup of shortening to 2 pounds of powdered sugar. I do beat my shortening for about 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. It makes it so creamy. I bake cakes for a catering company and the lady actually ask me if I used shortening in my icing. It's really that good.

yoktom is absolutely right about starting out with your cake at room tempature. Putting it in the fridge or carrying it in a cooler is only going to create problems. I had an outdoor party for my son last year (his birthday is July 5th) at the lake. It was about 103 degrees and the cake did fine. If I had started with a cold cake and taken it out into that kind of heat and humidity it would have been a sticky, gooey mess. Humidity will not be an issue if the cake is left at room tempature and not kept in a cooler when taken outside. The condensation will ruin your cake.

Maria925 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 14

Mamawrobin, I'm happy to hear you have successfully had a cake outside in the summer. I do agree about the refrigeration/cooler...I think that will only make things worse. The party is in a park completely shaded with old oak trees and next to the water (nice breeze) and the cake will be shaded as well.

I will definitely go with the all shortening and will give the Indydebie recipe a test drive before the party! icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Mamawrobin, I'm happy to hear you have successfully had a cake outside in the summer. I do agree about the refrigeration/cooler...I think that will only make things worse. The party is in a park completely shaded with old oak trees and next to the water (nice breeze) and the cake will be shaded as well.

I will definitely go with the all shortening and will give the Indydebie recipe a test drive before the party! icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

Trust me icon_smile.gif It will be fine. The shade and the nice breeze will be sufficient. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%