Lactose Free Substitutions?

Baking By dreamcakesmom Updated 25 May 2010 , 8:53pm by dreamcakesmom

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever received and fulfilled request for a lactose free cake? Before I call this customer back I was hoping to get insight. Has anyone converted their own recipes substituting lactose free milk, does it bake the same? Etc?

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 7

I have made many cakes without using dairy products. Use shortening instead of butter or margarine and use Rice Milk or Almond Milk for the liquid. The almond milk tastes wonderful and works very well in place of regular milk. If the customer has nut allergy or does not like the taste of almonds, then use the Rice milk. It also tastes good and makes beautiful frosting.

Soy milk is also available, but for me it tastes too much like green beans. I know it's made from a bean that's green, but I can really taste it. Some people also have a sensitvity to soy.

HTH

Michele

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 7

I've used soy milk, lactose-free milk, and rice milk. All work fine. I prefer rice milk or lactose-free milk, because soy milk does have a stronger taste.

picakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 7

Most of my family is lactose intolerant, so I've baked and cooked extensively with Lactaid milk with no problems whatsoever. I don't bother to use Lactaid milk for cakes and buttercream frosting because those things don't bother my lactose intolerant relatives, but if I make a cream filling or anything like that, I always use Lactaid milk. I have not noticed any problems with using it exactly as I would use regular milk.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 7

Coconut milk also works really well(the kind that comes in a carton, not the can). You can't taste the coconut at all. As far as butter, earth balance makes a dairy free soy and a dairy/soy free butter. It tastes like the real thing but softens quickly if it's the least bit warm. HTH

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

As smokeysmokerton said, Earth balance has a WONDERFUL flavor! My family prefers rice milk to soy or almond, tofutti offers a dairy free sour cream and cream cheese if you use that. There is also a soy creamer if you need it. There are tons of alternatives to dairy products, book 'er!

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all- You have definitely given me lots of ways to get thsi order done. Much appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%