Need Help With Gumpaste Figure Construction.

Decorating By Connie1027 Updated 25 May 2010 , 8:23pm by Minstrelmiss

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a figure of a graduate leaping into the air. I made the 'torso' a week ago with a skewer in it (to stick into the cake - long enough to touch the cake board underneath). I left it to dry really well. As I am now adding details, the skewer keeps coming out the top of the 'torso' Does anyone know if there is something I can do so the figure won't slide down the skewer? I just put some gumpaste glue on the skewer and stuck it back in, but I don't know if that will work or not. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all the great advice!!!

6 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 7

What about a little melted chocolate?

Connie1027 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 7

Once melted chocolate has set, would it be (and remain) firmer than the gumpaste? I've never used it.

Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 7

I think it will hold better to the skewer than the gumpaste will. All I can say is try it. I hope you get some other suggestions in case it doesnt work. Should though. icon_smile.gif

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

I have done just like you have done, I just put alot of gumpaste on the end of the screwer and stuck it back in, held just fine.

Connie1027 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 7

OK. Thank you both. I think I may put gumpaste on the end AND put some melted chocolate in the hole!!!

Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

Couldn't hurt thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%