I Need Help Finding A Photo Of A Cake, Wanna Help?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 25 May 2010 , 8:53pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 22

Ok, I have a bride who wants a wedding cake...she was unsure of her design (her and the groom couldn't really decide on the same elements) she wanted swirls and dots on a round cake, he wanted fondant ribbon and stripes on a square cake)

In any case, I made them compromise and drew them out a design of a round cake (they didn't need as many servings for 4 tiers of square cake) w/ pearls dotted on every other tier, and the other 2 tiers having stripes painted onto the fondant w/ pearl luster dust.

The bride is dying to see an example of the stripes, and how they would look. I know I've seen a cake or 2 or 3 on here but cannot for the life of me figure out the keywords to pull them up!

The stripes are not raised stripes of fondant (I've found lots of those) it's just stripes painted onto the fondant so every other stripe is pearlized and every other stripe is the plain matte finished fondant.

I would love any and all help finding photos to show her an example (I really don't have the time to cover a dummy w/ fondant and do it myself to snap a photo)

thanks a lot for all responses!!

21 replies
mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 22

These stripes look painted on:

http://www.dianescakesandmore.com/wedding-cakes/silver-stripes.php

And if they're not, they're probably still a good example. icon_smile.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 22

Also if you really want to please both groom and bride why not make mixed shape cake - rounds stacked on top of a square cake - then you could do the stripes on the square cake and the swirls and pearls on the round ones. Just a thought....

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 22

Might be me, but I thought those stripes did not look painted. I searched and couldn't find anyway. Maybe you could just roll out a small piece of fondant and paint some on it just to show her the effect. That might me less time consuming then looking through all these pics.

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 22

I did a search on 'pearl pearlized stripes' and came up with a lot of examples. Sorry I wasn't able to give you the link, but the first page had about 3 good examples and page 2 had a good one also. Good luck with your search.

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 22

I know right? lol

I'm looking for a single color of fondant w/ just pearl added in the stripes.......stripes of a different color than the fondant will give a different look.

I want her to see that the stripes are subtle, but still add an item of interest to the cake.

Maybe I crazy, but I swore I've seen one before!

It was done super neatly too, I assumed it must have been Rylan, tonedna, Kitagrl, someone like that...but I've gone through all of their photos and no luck!

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 22

did you search on google images or CC?/

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 22

Ok, this is not really a good example in that the stripes are painted on buttercream and they are....um....not real even but its the best I could find so far!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=27078

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 22

I'm not seeing even ONE cake where the stripes aren't raised from the cake!!

nanahaley Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 22

I searched on CC.

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 22

confections.........THAT is the look I'm going for........now only if I could find it in fondant!!!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 22

How about this one?

It's fondant with the "stripes" pressed into the fondant and then painted.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1563638

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 22

Chasey, that cake is really cool!!!

But I need it to all be the same color, just with the stripes pearlized and the rest of the cake matte/flat finish.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 22

KH, do you have a small dummy and some fondant laying around? You can always cover a small cake and paint the strips on there to give her an idea of it. It would probably be quicker than searching, cause I know I can never find what I need when I need it. icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 22

Auuhhh.....Chaseys example was great...can't the bride use her imagination a little? Just a pinch? I think the idea of preparing a swatch was a good one too.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

KH, do you have a small dummy and some fondant laying around? You can always cover a small cake and paint the strips on there to give her an idea of it. It would probably be quicker than searching, cause I know I can never find what I need when I need it. icon_smile.gif

This is exactly what I was about to say! In the time I spent looking, I could have had a dummy covered, painted, photographed and emailed!

nanahaley Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #17 of 22

I did a Google search for images "hand painted pearlized stripes on cake" and the 9th picture on the first page has stripes going around the cake. The picture is rather small but I think it shows the effect you are looking for. The caption under the picture says "Hand Painted Pearl Stripes".

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 22

Ooh, I think I have one for you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1300215.html

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #19 of 22

You are looking for tone on tone stripes, painted on fondant, right? Not fondant strips that are painted and then applied to the cake.

Here is a pic that has applied fondant stripes, but I thought it might help the bride and groom see their two styles meshed together. It's tone on tone so that helps as well!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1634907

Even though Avalyn's example is applied strips of fondant, at least they are all flush...that should help the bride envision, right? Maybe we are just assuming too much after looking at tons of cake pics! icon_lol.gif

SDCakeDecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SDCakeDecorator Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 22

OK . . here's another one.
LL

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalyn

Ooh, I think I have one for you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1300215.html

THAT'S THE CAKE I SAW!!!!

thank you sooooooooooo much!!! I't so beautiful....I remembered it had the skirting and was thinking it looked like tonedna or rylan or kitagrl did it!!!

Thank you so much everyone!!!

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #22 of 22

SD cakedecorator........YOU ROCK!!!

All of you rock...I'm so grateful to all of you for helping me out!!!

Thanks so much!!! I always knew I could count on everyone here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%