Questions About Mmf???? Help!!!!!

Decorating By YOUnique_Cakes Updated 27 May 2010 , 3:57pm by chillrr1

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to cake decorating and am no where near any supply stores. I have only made my own fondant, it's not only convenient but better tasting in my opinion but I have also had my fair share of problems. I live in high altitude (7500ft) very dry climate and I have problems with it drying out and falling apart if i let it sit to long. Most MMF recipes suggest letting it sit for a few hours to over night but I have to use mine right after I make it or it wont work. I also have a major problem with my store bought sugar paste drying and cracking on the edges...even with shortening. I have tried adding extra shortening to both and sometime it does okay but I want to perfect it. I don't wanna have to buy pre-packaged fondant.HELP!!!! I know there is someone out there that has that knowledge or has been through the same thing in a dry climate! Please help me!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
BeanCountingBaker Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 6

I have been working more and more with MMF. I have learned a few things that might be helpful to you. I'm certainly no expert, but I am willing to share.

* Use only enough powder sugar to get to the point that the MMF is no longer sticky to the touch and is evenly combined and smooth. I pour something between 2/3 and 3/4 of the 2lb bag out on the counter then dump the melted marshmallows on top. If you've added too much powdered sugar you can add a few drops of water to reverse the process. I'm also a big fan of the microwave to help make MMF easier to work with. I warm all my fondant for a few seconds, even very small pieces when I'm making decorations.

* Crisco is your friend! I coat the bowl, spoon, counter, and my hands with crisco before I start kneading. Then absolutely immediately after I'm done with it I coat the whole batch with crisco before wrapping it in plastic to rest for several hours or over night. When I'm rolling and making cut outs I always re-coat my scraps and wrap them right away. It only takes a little work in your hands to absorb the crisco, especially if you've stuck it in microwave.

* Powdered Sugar works better for dusting my surface than corn starch, MMF seems to dry out faster with corn starch in my experience. Using generous amounts of crisco keeps the MMF from sticking to the surface pretty well, so only the lightest sprinkle is needed.

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Bean!!! I will take your advice and try all of it and hope I succeed, thanks for replying to my post!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mamatoboys Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 6

I found a blog on another site (can't remember which one) and she gave this advice: When the fondant is sticky (on hands or surface) add crisco in small amounts. When the fondant is cracking, add water in small amounts. I've found that this works great. When adding either crisco or water, I usually just coat my hands (about 1tsp of crisco or run my hand under water). I'd rather add too little than too much and have to "correct" it again icon_smile.gif

YOUnique_Cakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 6

Sounds like adding water might just be what I need. Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

chillrr1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 6

Great tips thanks! I am using MMF for the first time this week. In the past I have just purchased the Wilton premade stuff, but I have found that it doesn't have a great flavor.

I've made three batches to get ready for a book stack I'm doing for a graduation tomorrow evening (yes, pics will be posted when I'm done - it's my first book stack and I'm very excited). It is easy - but driving me crazy that I have to wash everything between batches.

One of the books is going to have a brown cover, so, I decided that I would add coco powder to the recipe (lol - thought I'd save myself from too much brown coloring) and found that I needed significantly less powdered sugar, and it is slightly more dry than the two other batches that are awaiting the decorating stage this evening (after the full-time job). Because of the dryness I was wondering if I could add more water to this thread was very timely - I will try that tonight before I roll out the brown cover. I also like the idea of using powdered sugar instead of corn startch to dust the rolling surface....and thank goodness I use gloves when dealing with this stuff - the crisco on my hands would drive me crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%