Torting A Wilton Character Cake?

Decorating By ApplePomme Updated 27 May 2010 , 6:02am by cheatize

ApplePomme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplePomme Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm new to CC although I've been lurking for months now icon_smile.gif This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me!

Is it possible to tort a cake made from one of Wilton's character shaped pans? I've made several cakes using the pans but never torted one; they seem too finicky to have it turn out well (?). If anyone has done it, I'd love to hear any tips or tricks you have.

I realize this is a pretty basic question compared to other technique questions asked 'round these parts. Humour me!

4 replies
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

I put them on top of a sheet cake and frost betwen the character pan and shhet cake. I use the extra sheet cake that sticks out behind the character pan to add a background with visiual elements that refer to the story. For Cinderalla I put a carriage and other elements in a castle scene as background.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 5

Hi,

I torte almost all of my character pans. First I chill the cake (don't freeze) really well then I use the small Wilton leveler, I have very thin flexible (not silicon) cutting mats I slide under the torted layer. I then put it into the freezer until it is solid.

Make my BC dam, fill and carefully slide the frozen top layer on. I wait until it is thawed, and, ever so gently, push on the top to "secure" it. Ice and decorate as usual!!

HTH

Toni Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePomme

Hi, I'm new to CC although I've been lurking for months now icon_smile.gif This is my first post here, so please be gentle with me!

Is it possible to tort a cake made from one of Wilton's character shaped pans? I've made several cakes using the pans but never torted one; they seem too finicky to have it turn out well (?). If anyone has done it, I'd love to hear any tips or tricks you have.

I realize this is a pretty basic question compared to other technique questions asked 'round these parts. Humour me!

ApplePomme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplePomme Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 5

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:02am
post #5 of 5

Yes, yes, yes! I think they look so much better when torted and filled. To myself, I call it: think beyond the star tip. So many people think a Wilton character cake is blah or easy because all they've ever seen is one done "the Wilton way."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%