Sturdy Buttercream That Will Stand Up To The Heat

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 31 May 2010 , 9:41pm by mamawrobin

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 10

I have been lucky so far that all my events have been indoors. I have been asked to do 200 cupcakes or one large cake that will feed 200 cub scouts. This will be for our Twilight Camp that will be out doors in June and it will be in the high 90's and humid.

The person on our committee does not understand anything about the cake world. I tried to tell her that it being hot and humid will be hard on the buttercream. We will have no refrigeration. I have other responsibilities at the camp, so I can't run back home and grab them, not to mention the camp will be aboout an hour away.

Does any one have any suggestions or ideas to help with the buttercream ideas? Maybe some other dessert ideas? TIA

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 10

Indydebi's buttercream will hold up in the heat and humidity - I used it for an outdoor wedding - high humidity and 90 degrees - no melting or anything. The recipe is on this site.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 10

I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It is hot and humid here in Arkansas and it will hold up to 100 degrees w/o any problems whatsoever. I also use milk in the recipe. I've never used sugarshacks recipe but it's suppose to hold up to heat just as well. As long as it's all shortening based (no butter) then it should be fine. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening and I'm never able to use it here in the spring/summer months.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 10

Sugarshack's buttercream is another good one that withstands heat and humidity and tastes great, too

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 10

I'm glad to hear that sugarshack's will hold up, too. I just started using it over the winter.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 10

indys....I started to use her's and love it!!!! I live in South Texas, and I can put a cake outside in heat and humidity without a problem, Ive even bumped the cake and not a dent, it crust so good, and leaves a fantastic tasting BC, Im told by serveral that buy my cakes, and the cake is moist.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 10

If you are anxious about cupcakes, what about cereal/marshmallow treats. You could do rice crispy, cherrios, fruit loops, apple jacks...they would travel well and be easier for your darling cub scouts icon_smile.gif

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to try the recipes. Sorry I haven't got to reply back. I just got out of the hospital. One of our dogs is a bishon and we had her groomed about 3 weeks ago and the groomers used a different shampoo on her and I had a severe allergic reaction to the shampoo. Who knew? But my whole right arm broke out in this horrible rash and was the double the size of my left arm. Tried everything, but nothing worked, until the doctor had to put me on steroids and being diabetic that did not help my blood sugars at all. Had to be hospitalized on an insulin drip. Things like this only happen to me!!! Anyway Lucy our bishon, looked beautiful in her new summer cut. Wish I could say the same about my arm.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 10

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Happy to hear that you're better and home from the hospital.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%