Need A Witty Response

Lounge By bethasd Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm by Shelle_75

bethasd Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 22

I had posted on my facebook that I was making a cake with 5 doz. eggs and 7 lbs. of butter to which one of my friends responded, "Doesn't that gross you out?" Well, of course it doesn't gross me out...duh...I'm a baker. Anyway, my friend is about 5'10" and in my mind way too skinny. Her kids eat frozen pesto pops instead of ice cream. So what bothers me is this is the second time she's said it, like baking is gross or something. I need a clever little response to have in my back pocket for the next time she throws this out there. Any ideas?

21 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 22

I wouldn't list the amount of ingredients that you're using anymore...just "Working on a lovely 4 tier cake for this weekend," or "The house (or shop) smells lovely...baking a vanilla (or whatever) cake for a wedding." People who don't bake are often horrified by the amount of butter or sugar that a big cake takes, not realizing that it's going to be divided among 100 or more servings.

TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 22

I wouldn't bother replying, personally. Why let people get to you? She has the right to think what she wants about certain foods.

If you do feel the need to reply, then I wouldn't take a dig at her, I would just simply say "well a cake that is X number of tiers tall and serves XYZ people takes alot of ingredeints".

emrldsky Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 22

See, I have enough immature moments that I might have responded with, "What's gross about it? Sometimes, I even take a stick of butter, dip it in sugar and eat it!"

Not that you do, but if she's grossed out about it, I'd make it even worse for her. icon_wink.gif

Kind of like a little boy chasing someone with a gross insect. icon_biggrin.gif

Then again, I'd also wonder why it bothered me so much that someone who doesn't even understand cake baking and decorating could have an opinion that mattered so much.

bethasd Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 22

You are right, of course. I know I should take the high road & hate that I'm letting her get to me. She is very competitive with me and I feel like it's her way of taking me down a notch.

emrldsky Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 22
Originally Posted by bethasd

You are right, of course. I know I should take the high road & hate that I'm letting her get to me. She is very competitive with me and I feel like it's her way of taking me down a notch.

I understand. I have my insecurities too! icon_smile.gif Just daydream about the best responses you could give her, and then let it go. That's how I deal with situations like those (if I'm not out to poke fun at the person).

bethasd Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 22

I knew I'd feel better here. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 22

Two come to mind:
Why would using the freshest, most natural ingredients gross you out? Would you rather I use lard?
No, Pesto Pops gross me out. Same as 3/4 of the rest of the world.

Shelle_75 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 22

I'm never clever enough in those situations. I would probably go with the standard Indydebi response, "Wait, let me bend over so you can take a flying kiss at my a$$...."

But the other ones are probably more appropriate! icon_rolleyes.gif

bethasd Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 22

LOL! You all have me smiling it all away! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 22

I just had to go search for PestoPops...
Introducing Pesto POPS... homemade, fresh pesto cubes frozen for your cooking convenience.

Made with fresh sweet basil, extra-virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, and pine nuts.
4-pop pack: $6
So her kids eat frozen olive oil, basil, garlic and pine nuts all mixed together?" Ooh, much yummier than eggs and butter.

emrldsky Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 22

They kind of look like balls of baby poo! *sarcasm* Wow, so NOT gross!

Don't worry about her sweetie, and I'm glad that you're feeling better about it all.

bethasd Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 22

Speaking of poo...imagine what all that fresh basil & oil does to a kid's digestive system. icon_surprised.gif
I am SO over it. Can't thank you all enough!

CeeTee Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 22

*blink* Wait, someone lets their kids actually EAT pesto pops? They're not an ACTUAL popsicle! I use pesto pops in recipies. I like them because they stay fresher than pesto from a jar.

But the idea of eating one straight up frozen....YEUUUUCK! And I love pesto!

Karen421 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:29am
post #15 of 22

OOOOHHHH that's just wrong!!!!

Ruth0209 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #16 of 22

I think I'd say, "Isn't it lovely that individual ingredients that might not be very tasty by themselves can be combined to make something delicious and beautiful that brings joy to the person who receives it?"

If she has any decency, she'll realize how petty her comment sounded to everyone who read it.

milkmaid42 Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #17 of 22

All these answers are good. I can see why you would want an instant retort, although I don't feel she deserves an explanation. (I love pesto and raise my own basil used in much of my cooking...But eating a frozen pop?!) I have a hard time sometimes trying to hold my tongue. Instant sarcasm is often regretted. So, when I am really fired up I will write out what I would have liked to have said. Wait a day or two, then re-read it, then discard. Usually I am glad I didn't send/say it, but I will have gotten it out of my system.

tesso Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #18 of 22

looking at those pesto pops.. .I kinda threw up in my mouth a little.. agggghhhhhh... cough.. gagggg...ggggaaaaggg... THAT IS JUST TOO FROGGIED UP!! icon_lol.gif

GI Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #19 of 22

You know, since she's doing this on 'Facebook', can't you delete her snide remark? and if you *have* to leave it there...then this is what *I* would say to her "doesn't it gross you out":
"Not at all! My confectionary creations are absolutely to d-i-e for and sooooo delicious! You really should try some soon! Oh, that's like to eat frozen Olive Oil instead! oops!" icon_biggrin.gif (You could even put a cheezie-grin icon there, too. heeh heh.)

Karen421 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:43am
post #20 of 22

Wait - If it is on Facebook - just post a picture of your cake - and her pesto pop - You won't have to "say" anything!

Jenny0730 Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #21 of 22

My passive agressive self would delete her comment. It sorta tells her the snide remark wasn't welcome without having to say anything.

Shelle_75 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 22
Originally Posted by Karen421

Wait - If it is on Facebook - just post a picture of your cake - and her pesto pop - You won't have to "say" anything!

thumbs_up.gif THAT is a good idea!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%