Chalk Dust Falling Off Flowers Onto Cake - Please Help!

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 26 May 2010 , 12:59am by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 7

I just made several royal blue gumpaste roses for a wedding cake and I used non-toxic chalk to dust them. I also steamed them really well so the colour would set. Upon delivery of the cake I noticed that some dust fell off the flowers and onto the cake - rather noticable when the icing was white and the dust was dark blue. Is this inevitable or is there something I can do differently? Also, does this happen when using petal dust? Thanks for any advice!!

6 replies
catlharper Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 7

I have not had this problem with petal dust and would have been really cautious using chalk near cake. I know it says non toxic but that doesn't mean it's truly edible. I would recommend only food products in the future. With petal dust it seems to really rub into the flower and not dust off. HTH. Cat

icer101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 7

I learned to use the chalk color (i have all other brand names too.) from a FAMOUS teacher, Scott Clark Wooley) . Along with other FAMOUS teachers that i have taken classes with also. you probably didn,t steam enough. ?

cherrycakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your response! Believe me, I am truly leary about using chalk but there have been countless posts here regarding using chalk vs. peta dust and several decorators use chalk. As well, I have read several times that petal dust is not even considered food-safe. However, I have not used petal dust but if it doesn't rub or fall off the flowers that's enough reason for me to use that vs. chalk.

Texas_Rose Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 7

I've used the Wilton dusts on roses and it will fall off onto the cake a little bit too. What I usually do is turn the rose over and tap it gently to knock off the dust or chalk, then steam it. You can also paint dried gumpaste flowers with gel colors thinned with alcohol.

I looked at the cake in your photos...I remember your other post with the photo of what the bride wanted. I just wanted to say you did a really amazing job of updating the look while still doing what was requested. It's really lovely.

artscallion Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

I've used both petal dust and non-toxic chalk. I've never had a problem with either getting dust on the cake. Sometimes I steam, but sometimes I don't. In either case, no dust on the cake. I think the key is to really rub the dust in with your brush, then brush any excess off.

As to the edibility of it. Non-toxic Chalk is only calcium carbonate. Chalk, petal and luster dusts are all considered non-toxic but not really edible. I think most of the containers of petal dust I get warn that they are intended for highlight and decoration, not consumption. Paste or vic's vapo-rub are the same. I don't think any of them will hurt you in the tiny amounts that get consumed.

So, all things being equal, I use chalk since you can't even compare the cost.

cherrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've used the Wilton dusts on roses and it will fall off onto the cake a little bit too. What I usually do is turn the rose over and tap it gently to knock off the dust or chalk, then steam it. You can also paint dried gumpaste flowers with gel colors thinned with alcohol.

I looked at the cake in your photos...I remember your other post with the photo of what the bride wanted. I just wanted to say you did a really amazing job of updating the look while still doing what was requested. It's really lovely.

Thanks Texas_Rose for your sweet compliment! icon_smile.gif

I think I also may have been in a hurry dusting the flowers and maybe put too much chalk on - I was just trying to get the blue just right. I really hope I never have to colour a rose blue again!! I'll try tapping it more next time to remove the excess dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%