The Wierdest Thing Happened...

Decorating By Rachel5370 Updated 26 May 2010 , 1:17am by Rachel5370

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:09am
post #1 of 9

I was trying to color Fondx fondant purple and it just wouldn't happen. I finally got it to look purple and I wrapped and set it aside, came back an hour later and it was a beautiful shade of blue! But I definitely needed purple. I had a little bit of Wilton fondant sitting around that I was going to use for dummy cakes. I colored it purple and it came out perfect! I decided to use white to cover the cake and just accent with purple. Has anyone had an experience like this? One brand of fondant just not coloring right? I am mystified... icon_confused.gif

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:27am
post #2 of 9

Its very common. Here's a link that explains why this has been happening since the 1970's: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653200-red.html+dye

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:43am
post #3 of 9

Good history lesson Indydebi, and Doug's info was great too! So....no sunscreen for cakes invented yet....

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #4 of 9

Whenever a customer mentions they want purple or lavender on their cakes I cringe! Using gel colors for me never seems to work using Satin Ice (the fondant we use in our shop).

In my experience I prefer to use one of the following methods and fading is limited: 1) use powdered food colors (hate doing this but have to in a pinch - its much more expensive and more difficult to work into the fondant); 2) use pre-colored fondant (I use Satin Ice) and add white until I get the color I want.

I've never tried the coloring the Wilton fondant but may since you had success with it. Thanks for posting your experience!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:28am
post #5 of 9

Uhuh , its a shame this happened, Thankfully you only coloured the fondant, I had decorated a 3 tier baby pink cake in varying shades of very light pink . . and left in on the counter to dry out a little. I came back two hours later and the front half of the cake had gone white ! Debi is quite right, certain colours will and do fade!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:51am
post #6 of 9

YES!! I had this happen with Fondx when I was trying to color it black. It came out a shade of green! The more I colored it black, it still came out green! I am glad you posted this because I thought I was crazy. I use Satin Ice now because of that experience.

Rachel5370 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 9

Today I put the cake together with white Fondx covering it and Wilton fondant colored purple. I "marbled" the two together to cover the cake board with and made some rope trim with the same batch. It looked really pretty with the purple and white of the cake. All done with the cake, in the box and ready to deliver and it turned baby blue! Fondx is great to work with, tastes pretty good- but no go on coloring it! Wilton took color just fine- no problems there! Now I'm going to go check out Indydebi's link!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 9

I use any dark color fondant (purple, red, fondant) in pre-colored Satin Ice and have never had a problem.

Rachel5370 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

I guess if one were to invest in colored fondant a wise choice would be purple and red. I like the idea of mixing them with white to get the shade you need. Just maybe not Fondx white. It was so wierd, it wasn't like a slow fading, it was like the red evaporated in 30 minutes! It was purple and then POOF- it wasn't. But the Wilton didn't do it. I just don't want to cover a whole cake in Wilton. A very valuable lesson learned here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%