Edges On Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By audree Updated 25 May 2010 , 5:10pm by audree

audree Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #1 of 12

Whenever I cover my cakes in fondant my corners/edges are never sharp but are rounded instead. Am I putting too much butter cream under the fondant?

11 replies
mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 12

You may be. Do you use two fondant smoothers and work your edges?

I use one on the side of the cake at the same time using one on the top. Meeting the two together as I work my way around the top of the cake.

Hope that makes sense. Planet Cake has a great tutorial on youtube showing how to do this.

cakesrock Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:24am
post #3 of 12

You also have to ensure that you have very sharp edges to begin with (trim your cake). Sugarshacks video also helps a lot!
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:32am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

You also have to ensure that you have very sharp edges to begin with (trim your cake). Sugarshacks video also helps a lot!
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Yes you do. I didn't mention that but it is necessary.

KeltoKel Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:43am
post #5 of 12

good information...I also wanted to know this.

artscallion Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with all of the above and also find it helps if the cake is VERY cold at the point you cover with fondant. I don't have it out of the fridge more than 30 seconds before I'm slappin' that fondant over it. This way the buttercream is very firm and solid, with its own sharp edges, rather than mooshing around underneath.

Then, once the fondant is all in place, pop it back in the fridge, uncovered, for two hours. That gives the fondant a chance to set up in that perfect shape, with the buttercream still firm under it, rather than rounding out as the buttercream softens under it if left out at that point.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 12

I would like to add... to make sure your fondant is not too thick!

audree Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you so much for your advice! icon_smile.gif I will try refrigerating the cakes--I never do that so that could be a big help! I will try it on a wedding cake coming up next weekend! Thanks again--what would I do without Cake Central and all you experienced decorators?!

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audree

Thank you so much for your advice! icon_smile.gif I will try refrigerating the cakes--I never do that so that could be a big help! I will try it on a wedding cake coming up next weekend! Thanks again--what would I do without Cake Central and all you experienced decorators?!

I have also iced my cake and covered with a box only and let it sit overnight. The buttercream firms up really hard (will soften after covered with fondant) and gives a good firm cake for applying my fondant. I have issues with humidity when refrigerating cakes so I don't do that.

audree Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 12

Sitting out overnight is a good option too. My family might not appreciate me cleaning the food out of the fridge so I can put my cakes in there!

mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audree

Sitting out overnight is a good option too. My family might not appreciate me cleaning the food out of the fridge so I can put my cakes in there!

Another reason I don't use the fridge. I have 3 teenagers still living at home along with a couple of "strays" so my fridge is usually ALWAYS full icon_lol.gif . Leaving it overnight to firm up has always worked well for me. You can see in my photos that my cakes have a decent looking "edge" to them. I've got a long way to go but I'm learning with every cake. thumbs_up.gif

audree Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 12

Yep, I have a few of those hanging around my house too! Sounds like we have a lot in common! I will have to check out your pics! Thanks mamawrobin! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%