Best Books???

Decorating By southernswthrt Updated 25 May 2010 , 8:25pm by ninatat

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 9

I'm new to cake decorating; I've only taken the first 2 Wilton classes so far. I would like to invest in some good cake decorating books. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Looking for books with great recipes, ideas, and instructions.

TIA

8 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 9

ive flicked througha few at the bookstore, planet cakes looks pretty good, there was also another that i cant remeber the name of.. helpfull i know.. =/

interested to see others responses though. i need to build a library too..

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #3 of 9

If you want to learn cake decorating from beginning to end get The Professional cake decorator by Tobba Garette, you'll find it on sale at www.jessicabisquits.com, Each leasson build on the previews one, and the first Chapter starts with piping techniques. Many other books are great for ideas, but you need to master the techniques first... I am going through it now b/c I have so much to learn. HTH

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #4 of 9

If you are Wilton trained, I recommend anything by Peggy Porschen. Mich Turner has great books too that will help. After that just go to Barnes and Noble and start looking. Everyone has such radically different taste it's hard to say what will appeal. Peggy Porschen's books are an easy jump from the Wilton style of decorating and her work has that "I can do that" appeal to it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

If you want to learn cake decorating from beginning to end get The Professional cake decorator by Tobba Garette, you'll find it on sale at www.jessicabisquits.com, Each leasson build on the previews one, and the first Chapter starts with piping techniques. Many other books are great for ideas, but you need to master the techniques first... I am going through it now b/c I have so much to learn. HTH

Your link doesn't go anywhere. Is it possible it is spelled wrong?

I have the Professional Cake Decorating by Toba Garrett. Is this the book you are talking about? She does have several books out there. I can second the recommendation for this book. Just know that is it pricey. I saw it at Borders for $77.00 and on Amazon you can get in the $50's range. It is worth it though. I got mine cheap off of eBay. I got lucky.

Planet Cake is another great book. I am also collecting the books from Collette Peters.

There are so many that you might want to start by checking out your local libraries. I started that way. When I found a book I liked, I put it on a list. Slowly I have been accumulating them. Or I will go back to my library and get it again. I do that with the expensive ones. They had Professional Cake Decorating at my local library that I held for about 3 renewals before I got my own.

It does depend on what you are looking for also. There are books for shaped cakes - Confetti Cakes and Confetti Cakes for Kids are two I have enjoyed. There are a ton for wedding cakes, too many to mention. There are also books for generic cake decorating and for scratch recipes with wedding cakes in them - The Cake Bible, Rose's Heavenly Cakes. There are a lot of book from bakeries around the country with recipes and decorating.

And if you are looking for something that takes your breath away there is Calkwalk. Personally I love it. It is heavy on photos, but they are photos meant to inspire you as well as give you directions on some of Margaret Braun's cakes. Amazon shows it as not available with a used price of starting at $134. icon_surprised.gif I saw it at my local B&N for $50 and passed on it thinking I can get it cheaper on Amazon. Two days later I check and see the used price at $134. I got in the car immediately and went back to B&N and got it there. I had a coupon and my member discounted brought it down considerably. I don't know how it got in my local B&N. But I consider it a gift from the Universe for me. icon_lol.gif

Good luck and have fun,. I have thoroughly enjoyed digging through book after book.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 9

[quote="LindaF144"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

Your link doesn't go anywhere. Is it possible it is spelled wrong?

I have the Professional Cake Decorating by Toba Garrett. Is this the book you are talking about? She does have several books out there. I can second the recommendation for this book. Just know that is it pricey. I saw it at Borders for $77.00 and on Amazon you can get in the $50's range. It is worth it though. I got mine cheap off of eBay. I got lucky.

Sorry here is the link, I have it bookmark as jessica's biscuit ... here is the site

http://www.ecookbooks.com/ and it's free shipping over $25.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 9

This site is the BEST cake decorating resource ever! It's saved me a bundle on books, useless products, and ho-hum recipes.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

This site is the BEST cake decorating resource ever! It's saved me a bundle on books, useless products, and ho-hum recipes.

I second that!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 9

hi all, you might want to try this one also it was suggested by someone on here, you'll find everyone is very helpful. by wilton, the uses of the most popular decorating tips. it show's a lot of tips and special tips, by the way i love the 869 has such clean lines, i like it better than the 1m for cupcakes. and it show's a lot of different borders also, i also got it online from a discount book web site, it was something 0z i'll find the name for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%