How Do I Get The Second Cake Layer On Cake??

Decorating By Spectra Updated 25 May 2010 , 7:21am by sweettreat101

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 7

This may seem like a silly question, but this is the second time I've baked a 12x15 sheet cake, did two of them to stack on top of each other. I'm sitting here trying to figure out once I put the icing on the first layer how do I put the top cake on without it breaking? With an 8" it's easy peasy, but this is so big that I cannot just pick it up with my hands without it breaking in two. I really need help on this one. Thank you!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 7

You put it on a cardboard or a rimless cookie sheet and slide it off onto the bottom layer.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Leah, I was thinking that, but wasn't quite sure if it would work out right. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You put it on a cardboard or a rimless cookie sheet and slide it off onto the bottom layer.

I second that

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 7

Freeze them and they handle really well.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:32am
post #6 of 7

I second freezing the cake. I generally use spatulas as lifters and I can easily move a 12 x 18 layer around and get it placed exactly where I want it while it's frozen. Sliding the spatulas out from between the layers is easier than sliding a layer of cake off a board and getting it to land in the right place.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:21am
post #7 of 7

I have a large piece of cardboard that I covered with freezer paper. I use this for lifting difficult cake layers and also large layers of rolled out fondant. Freezer paper is like a heavy duty wax paper so it can be wiped of and reused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%