Help With Filled Cake

Decorating By mamakasst Updated 25 May 2010 , 5:40pm by Minstrelmiss

mamakasst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakasst Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked by my pastor's wife to make a baby shower cake. They wanted a fruit filling. I don't want the filling to bust out and I've read on here that you need to put a stiff bc dam up. I have a bc recipe that calls for 1 cup of shortening but no butter. Do I need to make sure that I add extra powdered sugar to the part thats going to be the dam?

Another question: I have to have the cake at the church on Sunday afternoon but will be busy all day Saturday. Should I wait and make the cake on Sunday morning or does it need to set? Would it be better to make the cake Friday or will that dry the cake out?

I don't mean to be asking SO many questions but I'm a beginner. Thanks for the help!

4 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 5

You need to make the cake before Sunday. If you are filling the cake it needs to settle a few hours before you put your final coat of frosting on it. You can bake it any time, level it, and freeze it, thaw it, fill, crumb coat it and let it set for at least 4 hours to settle. Then put your final coat of frosting and decorate.

Add extra powdered sugar to bc that will be the dam only.

I hope that helps you, Good Luck!!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 5

I make my dam from about 2 cups of my regular buttercream-adding as much sugar as I can. It looks like play dough when I'm done. I roll it into abut 1/2" thick ropes to go around the cake. I also LIGHTLY coat the cakes that will be touching squishy filling so they aren't absorbed into the cakes. HTH

mamakasst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakasst Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much! I will try both of these suggestions!! I'll be sure to post an update and let you know how it went! Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 5

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Using a dam stopped ALL of my bulging issues too....we'll not all of them (rubbing tummy) icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%