Gelatin Wings, Bows Etc. - Lifespan??

Decorating By fluffball Updated 25 May 2010 , 2:09am by bobwonderbuns

fluffball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluffball Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone please tell me how long gelatin wings would last for? i've tried searching but have so far come up empty handed with a proper answer. And i don't have the time to read through all 40 odd pages of the gelatin sticky thread again...
I'm going to try make some wings for my sons cake in early July (3rd) and I want to know how soon I can make the actual ones I am going to use. will they last a while or will they spoil?

Thanks

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 9

As long as you keep them out of humidity, dry and dust free, they last a LOOONNG time. I have bows that I made last year that I have kept and they are perfect. ( I would not seal them up in something air tight though - not sure how that would work)

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 9

Not to hi-jack this thread, but ---- how do you make the bodies for the butterflies? I made the wings just on some plain acetate, peeled and cut them into the shapes that I wanted. Then I was lost. What do you make the bodies out of and how do you apply with melting the wings. Any help would appreciated.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 9

Loucinda, did the new books (gelatin) come out yet?

TIA!! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 9

You can make the bodies from royal, buttercream or use the mold that they sell at cakeconnection.com - all 3 work fine.

The book should be on their website now.....I LOVE mine!! I wish I was closer to them to take the advanced classes on the technique.

fluffball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluffball Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much! Off to make some wings....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 9

I'm still waiting for my book!! icon_cry.gif

Loucinda Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #8 of 9

HEY Di and Michaelle - you gotta send BWB a copy of the new book too, we are a dynamic duo here helping with the gelatin questions! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #9 of 9

Yeah!! And I did a whole tutorial and everything!! (Take that!) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%