? About Freezing/not Freezing Cookies

Baking By newb2 Updated 25 May 2010 , 4:55pm by snoodle-n-butthead

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 6

What length of time are you comfortable NOT freezing a cookie and just storing at room temp in airtight container? I'm not sure if my question is clear......if you are making decorated sugar cookies and they need to be done on a certain day if you bake 3 days in advance would you still freeze? What about a week? What is your "cut off" for freezing vs not freezing? Also, does it matter if they are decorated or not?

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 6

i think i understand what you're asking... maybe not?

Once my cookies are baked i try to have them packaged no later than 3-4 days out. (I freeze my cookies before I bake, so not sure about freezing after they're baked, but i know people do it)

This gives me enough time to decorate (i use royal icing) and for it to dry. If I have multiple colors or layers sometimes they will sit out for 2-3 days. I have not had any problems with them going stale in this time as the cookie is pulling moisture form the royal icing. I find that they are actually softer after sitting out to let the royal icing dry. Then once packaged they are even better.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:57am
post #3 of 6

I try to get my out as soon as possible and many of my cookies get shipped, which adds time to when they are consumed. To help with freshness, I found that heat sealing my cello bag really helps. I personally don't freeze, but I do know that a lot of people on here do and are happy with the results.

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's pretty safe then to have cookies stored at room temp for a few days at least before consuming. Must they be in an airtight container during that time frame?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2

Must they be in an airtight container during that time frame?

I don't keep mine in an airtight container or the royal icing would never dry. Mine are usually on cookie sheets stacked up with a flour sack towel draped over them to keep dust and other stuff in the air off of them, but still allow airflow to let the icing dry.

snoodle-n-butthead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoodle-n-butthead Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6

ya i worked for a well know cookie bouquet company that freezes the cookies after they are baked, and some after they were decorated... i WOULD NOT suggest doing that! they don't taste fresh, and dries them out. like everyone else said i would make them about 3 days before, depending on the time of year, if it's too hot it will take longer for example...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%