How To Make Bubbles To Go With A Duck Cake Theme.

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 25 May 2010 , 1:23pm by DianeLM

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a two tier cake with a big duck on the top tier and smaller duckies on the bottom tier. All the ducks will be in water but I want to make bubbles and my first thought is to make the bubbles out of sugar but know nothing about how to go about it. Any ideas? Or is there a different medium to get the "bubble" effect? Help!!!!

8 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 9

You could use gelatin on a wire loop. That way the bubbles could be floating in the air.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/gelatinflowers.htm
I used this technique to make wings for a butterfly. For the bubbles you could use clear gelatin and then dust with pearl dust. HTH

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 9

If it were "flat" on the cake, you might use piping gel.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 9

Sorry, the link was removed. Trying again with spaces http://www. sugarcraft . com /catalog /misc /gelatinflowers.htm

MissSuper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSuper Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 9

You can check wilton's site or one of the books - not sure what year though. I believe RI or BC was used using a certain tip.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #6 of 9

If you are looking for clear bubbles I would say gelatin , but I did a Baby shower cake with ducks and bubbles and soap that were just made from white and blue fondant balls dusted with pearl dust then to fill the spaces I piped some with white buttercream and dusted those with pearl dust too.
LL
LL
LL
LL

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 9

Hi!!

Its your lucky day. Last Friday I made a cake with bubbles. I don't know how to attach/link the photo but you can see it in my profile. You can use buttercream. I used frosting (I am from Puerto Rico and we use that instead of the buttercream but is similar to cover the cakes). In the pastry bag put tip Ateco #805 (or you can put just the piece where you attach the tip (I don't remember the name in English) without any tip, or just cut the end of the pastry bag. Then made the bubbles in different sizes by just squeezing the pastry. The bubbles outside the barrel are of fondant with pearl dust but its more easier and less expensive made the bubbles using frosting. Good luck. You can e-mail me with any question.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 9

Momsgoodies: I think you mean a coupler. The thing you put your tip on and then screw a ring over to hold the tip in place on the bag.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 9

I made the bubbles out of fondant and brushed with pearl dust on this cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=159713

You need some special equipment to blow sugar bubbles. There's plenty of info on the internet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%