I Need Tips On Piping A Simple Swag Onto....

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 24 May 2010 , 10:44pm by catlharper

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 5

I have to pipe a simple swag onto a buttercream cake. I have never done a buttercream covered cake. I always work with fondont. Yikes ! Are there any tips I should do ?
how to make them even?
royal icing or buttercream?
pipe onto a cold cake?

Help...I know this is the fundamentals of cake decor...but I am at a lost with this...lol

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

don't know the answer but since I'm interested I'm gonna give this a BUMP and hope it stays in circulation long enough for someone to come thru!LOL! Cat

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3girlz

I have to pipe a simple swag onto a buttercream cake. I have never done a buttercream covered cake. I always work with fondont. Yikes ! Are there any tips I should do ?
how to make them even?
royal icing or buttercream?
pipe onto a cold cake?

Help...I know this is the fundamentals of cake decor...but I am at a lost with this...lol

If it's a small cake, you might only want 6 swags. I'd eyeball it to make them evenly spaced by first making a tiny dent in your buttercream with a toothpick. Start by making your marks at a 12:00 position, then at 6:00 position. Make two more marks at 2:00 & 4:00, and do the same on the other half of the cake at 8:00 & 10:00.

For a larger diameter cake, start by marking as above (mark on back, mark on front), make a mark to the left & right, and then another mark in between all of those for a total of 8 swags.

You can pipe them in buttercream on a room temp cake. icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 5

Do you mean something like this?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! That helps alot. Now I just have to get the nerve up to actually try it! LOL! Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%