Help With Fruit Filling

Decorating By chicago1 Updated 24 May 2010 , 7:50pm by chicago1

chicago1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicago1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I made my first fruit filling 2 layer cake this weekend and just as I expected the flling started oozing from the sides. I had to take top tier off clean up the 'wetness' of the filling and then just place the strawberries in the center and putting the top layer back on. I let it set longer in the 'fridge' to firm up and then it worked out. It didn't have as much fruit filling as I wanted but oh well -first try.

Any suggestions on how to do a better job the second time around? I used buttercream 1c each shortening and butter and made my own strawberry filling. I thought the syrup was thick enough but I guess not.

Thanks!

3 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

I only use a totally stiff dam around the perimeter of the cake made up of shortening bc only. No butter. I also would be more inclined to use strawberry jam and strawberries than any type of runny syrup as with my kind of luck the top would slide right off of there!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 4

I don't know enough about making fruit filling, but putting a DAM of very stiff buttercream around the edge of the cake your going to fill will help prevent any ozzing and buldging, and make sure your filling doesn't sit higher than the DAM. (I'm not the best at explaining) HTH

chicago1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicago1 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 4

I did happen to put a dam but the dam broke! I guess I should have used a stiffer consistency dam- icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%