Grill Grate Help

Decorating By yums Updated 30 May 2010 , 12:37pm by yums

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a bbq grill cake for a party this weekend. The idea came from a wilton yearbook in the 90's. Anyway.....For the grate they say to "paint" royal icing onto spaghetti. At first it seemed too think to paint so I thinned it but then the spaghetti showed through. I tried the flexible RI and that was a joke. So my next plan of action is rolling out gumpaste ropes. Any other ideas? It needs to be strong enough to support burgers and dogs made of modeling choc. If the gumpaste doesn't work, I am out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if it matters I am looking for something the size of a shoestring.

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 6

what about using silver luster dust w/ some extract and paint that onto spaghetti.........or for a non edible option, paint it onto some skewers?

yums Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 6

I like the skewer idea. I was trying to keep it edible but who is really going to eat spaghetti covered in RI anyway icon_smile.gif Thanks

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 6

My hubby made the grill cake in my photos. He used dowels that he covered with Americolor Black coloring. It covered it really well. He cut this cake at the wedding and just removed the dowels prior to cutting.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:11am
post #5 of 6

how about pastillage? it is very hard and supportive..... then just airbrush it after it is totally hardened..

yums Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the idea but the cake is already eaen, lol. I used dowels and gumpaste. I will have to research pastillage because I have no idea what that is. Thank yous for all the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%