How Soon Can I Make My Sugar Flowers ?

Decorating By threetiercake Updated 24 May 2010 , 9:19pm by LuvLyrics

threetiercake Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 8

Please can I have some advice as to- a) how soon I can make my sugar/gum paste flowers for my wedding cake i.e. ?days/ weeks. I am making a few wired posies of the bridal flowers. b)The best method of storage.
Thanks

7 replies
peg818 Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 8

you can make gumpaste flowers at anytime, just be sure to box them to keep them dust free. If you are in a really humid climate you may want to put one of those little packs in that suck up the moisture

deeb173 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

I would keep them in the dark too...no direct sun because they will fade, expecially purple. Purple fades to blue in a heartbeat icon_smile.gif I tried to do daisies a couple of days in advance and they faded to blue and the new mom stipulated NO blue at all...so I had to paint them all icon_biggrin.gif

leily Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

gum paste flowers can be stored for months even. Once they are dry you can layer them in a cake box or shoe box with some padding (papertowels work well) and as mentioned keep them out of the sunlight to help prevent any of the colors from fading.

If you are adding any dust to them I recommend steaming them to help set the dust and color.

threetiercake Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, I also meant to ask what is the earliest time I can cover a fruit cake with marzipan & fondant. I have 4 sponge cakes to cover and I'm trying to do as much ahead as I can, since I have to leave the sponges to the last minute.

newmansmom2004 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb173

I would keep them in the dark too...no direct sun because they will fade, expecially purple. Purple fades to blue in a heartbeat icon_smile.gif I tried to do daisies a couple of days in advance and they faded to blue and the new mom stipulated NO blue at all...so I had to paint them all icon_biggrin.gif

Pink is also notorious for fading...personal knowledge. icon_cry.gif

threetiercake Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 8

Would I need to put the posy together rather than storing the individual flowers and assembling later.
Sorry for all the questions ,thanks for all the helpful suggestions so far.--Really appreciated!!!

LuvLyrics Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

gum paste flowers can be stored for months even. Once they are dry you can layer them in a cake box or shoe box with some padding (papertowels work well) and as mentioned keep them out of the sunlight to help prevent any of the colors from fading.

If you are adding any dust to them I recommend steaming them to help set the dust and color.

How do you steam them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%