? About Zebra Stripes On Bc

Decorating By yummy Updated 25 May 2010 , 1:55am by yummy

yummy Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all! I'm going to do a zebra striped cake with bc. I watched a tutorial on youtube on how to make stripes with fondant. She ( I forgot her name, sorry) wet her fondant around the sides with a makeup brush then applied the stripes.

Can this be done on crusting bc; or do I wet each stripe and attach which is better water, piping gel or bc?

If I decide to paint the stripes, which is best; gel mixed with vodka /lemon juice or airbrush colors ( I don't have a airbrush)? What kind of brush and size should I be using? I made a zebra cake (practice) before and I painted the stripes with straight gel on bc with a cheap brush, the kind that comes with the rainbow color paint pallet for kids. It came out alright, but since then I've learned the right way thanks to cc. Thanks!

4 replies
Kellbella Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

You may have to wet the stripes a little w/some water if your bc has already crusted. I would paint with black gel color thinned with a little vodka or lemon extract.

Malakin Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 5

I've painted them on white fondant with black gel color mixed with vodka. I've also cut them out and applied them with tylose/water mix to form a gel which piping gel would work also. I only put a small amount on the piece and didn't make it too wet.

cakeglitz Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 5

I've used water and also piping gel. I've tried both. I like the piping gel best because I've noticed that too much water can cause the black fondant to run.

yummy Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:55am
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone. Any suggestions on brushes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%