Ck Pearl Beads....8Mm Or 12Mm? Which One Will Get More Use?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm by Charmed

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 25

I was just wondering which one to get. I wish they had a 10mm. Which one do you use more often?

The other option is the 10mm oval, but I just want a multi-purpose one.

24 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 25

I'm with you.........I've read that the 6mm is pretty small for using as a border. I'm dying to get a pearl maker but don't want to shell out for more than one of them right now!!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 25

would be awesome if people could attach photos of cakes they've made using the different sized pearl makers so we could see how they look too!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 25

I bought the mold which has 3 different sizes so is perfect! you can buy it here:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21438&name=Perfect%20Pearls%206,%208,%2010%20mm%20by%20First%20Impressions

I know they are not completely round but, it does the trick.

tinygoose Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 25

Cakelady, do they work ok? I have the CK rope mold 12mm, and it works like a dream. With First Imp. do you have to scrap the fondant across the mold or do you get a lot of fondant spilling out of the mold?

cakecanvass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecanvass Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Cakelady, do they work ok? I have the CK rope mold 12mm, and it works like a dream. With First Imp. do you have to scrap the fondant across the mold or do you get a lot of fondant spilling out of the mold?

Greetings, I am brand new to this forum; I ended up here while searching for the very information you are discussing here. Until today, I have only been able to find 6 inch long pearl molds but I knew there were 12 inch ones out there somewhere. So first of all thank you CakeladytLA for the weblink! I will be watching this conversation closely and thank you all for any information and tips you might apprise me of. I have not used the mold before but have seen Edna De la Cruz's video on youtube and knew this was going to be something I used for my next wedding cake. It seems there are quite the variety to choose from. Does anyone know if there is much difference in using a 6 inch or 12 inch in length or single as opposed to multi cavity molds?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 25

thanks sugarshack........I'm thinking personally I'd like the 8 for sure over the 6, now I"m wondering how big the 12mm ones are!

looks to me like the 8mm ones are like the strands of pearls you can buy for cakes!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 25

Before I invested in mine, I PM"d a lot of people that had the pearl beads on their cakes that I really thought had good proportions. The vast majority used 8MM. I would love to have several sizes but could only afford one. I was very pleased with them. They are the full round. My 8 & 9 year old granddaughters even learned to make gumpaste beads for fun.

tinygoose Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 25

Thanks everyone, that helps alot. I think I'm going to go for the 8mm Ck brand. Sharon your cakes always blow me away.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 25

I just posted photos of a wedding cake I made over the weekend on which I used 8mm pearls from GSA as borders and 4mm pearls on the diamond patterns. My cakes were 10,8 and 6 inches.
I too was puzzled about what sized pearls to use. Then I measured round tips with a ruler to give me a better idea of how big the pearl would be. That made it easier to make a decision.
Sorry I don't have the photo in port to attach. But you can check my photos.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 25

I got a 4mm one for accents on a chocolate shoe....but was puzzled by what size to get for the actual cake. I was able to compare sizes of finished pearls that were for sale at a local cake/candy shop. 12mm seemed so large, 8mm was just right.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Yes, they work good and they are cheaper, but like I said before they are halves only. I like them like that.

Patty*

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #14 of 25

Thank you tinygoose.

tips:

1) the mold will be stiffish when you first get it, but will lossen up with a little use
2) if you have trouble getting the pearls made, let me know and I will talk u thru it.
3) gumpaste easier to use than fondant
4) molds also a bit stickier when new, but after seasoned a bit will be not sticky.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #15 of 25

At least 20 times in the past couple months I've gone online to buy a pearl mold, only to sit debating back and forth on what size to get and ending up not getting anything. Thank you so much, looks like 8mm is the size to get. Whew, one less thing to try to figure out.

KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #16 of 25

does anyone have a photo of the 12mm ones on a cake? I kinda like big pearls for funkier birthday cakes! Just wondering how BIG they are though

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 25

I checked the pearl sizes when I went to jewelry section of hobby lobby and on the package of pearls it has the size of the pearl and I like the 12mm . I wanted to get the 12 and 8 mm CK pearl molds but I have to buy them from different suppliers.. wish they stocked both sizes.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #18 of 25

and up until now, I always thought that people just painstakingly hand rolled each pearl. Ahh, the ignorance of being a cake newbie, lol!

tinygoose Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Thank you tinygoose.

tips:

1) the mold will be stiffish when you first get it, but will lossen up with a little use
2) if you have trouble getting the pearls made, let me know and I will talk u thru it.
3) gumpaste easier to use than fondant
4) molds also a bit stickier when new, but after seasoned a bit will be not sticky.

Thanks Sharon!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed

I checked the pearl sizes when I went to jewelry section of hobby lobby and on the package of pearls it has the size of the pearl and I like the 12mm . I wanted to get the 12 and 8 mm CK pearl molds but I have to buy them from different suppliers.. wish they stocked both sizes.

Thank you sooooo much for this idea. I did exactly this at Michael's today and now I finally know which size pearls I want to make. thank you, thank you, thank you

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #21 of 25

I used both 12 and 14mm for this cake- 12 on top 14 on bottom. I used the first impressions mold

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1669849.html

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #22 of 25

here is another cake with a better view of 14mm pearls

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1650034.html

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #23 of 25

THANK YOU .. so much i had the same problem ,didn't know what size to get

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyndmy

and up until now, I always thought that people just painstakingly hand rolled each pearl. Ahh, the ignorance of being a cake newbie, lol!

Many people do.....but the mold makes the process so much easier once you get the hang of using them.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #25 of 25

I asked Jennifer Dontz about the 12 mm mold yesterday and she had it !!so I ordered it yeahhh icon_biggrin.gif Here is the link:
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=mol044

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%