How Do I Make A Diagram For Customers Without Drawing It?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 24 May 2010 , 6:23pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 11

I love indydebi's instructions for cutting a cake and always send people to her site (now her blog) for the directions........however, I would like to print off some of these and just include them w/ a serving guide w/ each cake that goes out.........BUT I don't want to KILL my ink supply in my printer by printing a TON of color photos all the time.

I would really like a way to have a simple diagram that shows the cake, with maybe dotted lines showing where to cut, then a photo of the 2" wide strip cut and kinda tipping outward as they lay it on it's side. then a 3rd photo of the strip on its side and a dotted line on how to begin cutting 1" strips.

seems simple enough right??? I can't figure out a way to design my own though!!

I see doug doing TONS of diagrams, does anyone know what program he uses?

I would appreciate (so would my printer) any help you can offer!

10 replies
metria Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 11

he may be using google sketchup. i'm not very good at using that icon_sad.gif i have 2D and 3D art programs (cuz of the nature of my work), but unfortunately i'm not a very good graphic artist ... otherwise i'd mock it up for you in a heartbeat! here's a bump!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 11

thanks so much, I downloaded google sketch up and can't figure it out! lol

cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe an exploded pie diagram in Word of Excel?

tiggy2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 11

Send Doug a PM and see what he uses.

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 11

I did, I'm sure he's at work or something right now..........just thought maybe someone else would know the name of it, or have an idea of something else I could use to make the chart!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 11

Ok, Bluehue was kind of enough to point me in the direction of a diagram elsewhere (not 3-d) ......not sure why I was hung up on the 3-D part of it. I guess I figured if it was 2 dimensional customers wouldn't understand it.

However, after seeing the 2-d diagram it made me think "hey I can do that in word" so I just made one.

I'll attach in case anyone else wants to use it.

I added my own text, but kept indydebi's helpful hint! Obviously the whole idea of how to cut it is based off of her ingenious method...I just needed something a little more printer friendly for my customers!

Thanks you guys for all the tips!

jardot22 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you so much for this!! I was looking for this the other day and couldn't find a diagram for the life of me that showed Indydebi's method. I always hate trying to explain to my customers how to cut it this way LOL...they always seem a bit confused since they're used to cutting pie-like wedges icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 11

CakesIMake Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 11

thank you! this is awesome!

KHalstead Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 11

grrrr........I keep editing it because I keep seeing typos or off centered stuff LOL

I think I'm done messing with it now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%