Fondant, Fondant, Fondant

Decorating By Melissa_B_Cakes Updated 24 May 2010 , 6:35pm by Melissa_B_Cakes

Melissa_B_Cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 13

I have been making cakes for alittle over 3 years. I have always loved Satin Ice Fondant. But recently, I have been having trouble with it.

When I cover a square cake, the corners of the cake start to sag down, looking more like a 'rainbow' instead of a nice square. My cake recipes are sour cream based and hold up pretty well with buttercream icing. I have also noticed the fondant will start to ripple on the sides...

So I have two questions...

1. Is refrigerating the cake prior to covering with fondant ok? I mean I know its all about what you prefer...but I'm curious to hear everyone's opinion on what works and what doesn't....

2. How can I get rid of all the ripples and buldges on the sides of the cake? I notice the buldges are where the cake meets the next cake, so bascially where the layers are stacked.

I usually roll out the fondant about a 1/4 in thick and I'm think the reason it buldges out it maybe I'm rolling out the sides more thin than the actual top of the cake?

Any tips or tricks to help me out PLEASE! and thank you! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
tiggy2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 13

If it's bulging on the sides it's probably because you didn't let it settle long enough after filling it before crumb coating and applying fondant. Refrigerating will not take the place of letting the cake settle for seeral hours.

metria Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 13

coating your cake with cake spackle or ganache might help for stability and reducing the bulge.

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with tiggy2. It sounds like you're not allowing your cake to settle BEFORE crumb coating and applying fondant. Cake settles. It's important to let it do this before moving to the next step.

How long do you wait after filling your cake before you crumb coat or cover with fondant?

charliejo Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 13

having the same problem, how long do you have the cake settle and the crumb coat, then fondant, thanks

Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 13

I try to let it settle overnight if possible.

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejo

having the same problem, how long do you have the cake settle and the crumb coat, then fondant, thanks

I usually let mine settle 12-24 hours before crumb coating. I fill then wrap in plastic wrap. You can speed up the process by adding a little weight (ceramic tile, book, etc.) but it still takes a few hours.

Melissa_B_Cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 13

well, here's my whole process...I will bake the days ahead, freeze them, then the night before I will take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw in the frig. After they are thawed, I take them out, and let them sit at room temp. Then I will fill them, crumb coat them, let them sit out as long as it takes for me to knead the fondant and roll it out...so I usually crumb coat and cover within the hour or so. I have never thought to actually let it 'settle' first...so would it be ok to fill, crumb coat, set it in the frig and then cover it the next day?

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_B_Cakes

well, here my whole process...I will bake the days days ahead, freeze them, then the night before I will take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw in the frig. After they are thawed, I take them out, and let them sit at room temp. Then I will fill them, crumb coat them, let them sit out as long as it takes for me to knead the fondant and roll it out...so I usually crumb coat and cover within the hour or so. I have never thought to actually let it 'settle' first...so would it be ok to fill, crumb coat, set it in the frig and then cover it the next day?

It would actually be better to fill, wrap and let sit at room tempature (unless it's a perishable filling of course) for 12-24 hours before crumb coating and covering with fondant. Cakes settle. They are going to do that. If they're not allowed to settle BEFORE moving to the next step it is going to affect the apperance of your cake. I don't like to crumb coat before allowing to settle although some people do.

tiggy2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

well, here's my whole process...I will bake the days ahead, freeze them, then the night before I will take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw in the frig. After they are thawed, I take them out, and let them sit at room temp. Then I will fill them, crumb coat them, let them sit out as long as it takes for me to knead the fondant and roll it out...so I usually crumb coat and cover within the hour or so. I have never thought to actually let it 'settle' first...so would it be ok to fill, crumb coat, set it in the frig and then cover it the next day?

Why are you putting it in the fridge? Does it have perishable filling?

Melissa_B_Cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 13

I would place them in the frig because I didn't want them to dry out if I left them out at room temp. I usually bake on a sunday, freeze them until friday morning. Ill take the cakes out of the freezer Friday morning to thaw in the frig (to try to keep them fresh)

So what I should really do is fill and stack the layers, wrap them in plastic wrap, then stick them in the frig (if perishable filling) or let them sit out for about 12-24 hours? Then after that, crumb coat then cover with fondant?

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

I would place them in the frig because I didn't want them to dry out if I left them out at room temp. I usually bake on a sunday, freeze them until friday morning. Ill take the cakes out of the freezer Friday morning to thaw in the frig (to try to keep them fresh)

I usually freeze my cakes as well because I bake at my friends resturant. I never put mine in the fridge to thaw. I set them on the counter with the plastic wrap still on and allow them to thaw at room tempature. Putting them in the fridge isn't necessary. It will stay perfectly fresh at room tempature.

So what I should really do is fill and stack the layers, wrap them in plastic wrap, then stick them in the frig (if perishable filling) or let them sit out for about 12-24 hours? Then after that, crumb coat then cover with fondant?

YES...this is it. I never refrigerate a cake after filling. (don't use perishable fillings)

Melissa_B_Cakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 13

THANK YOU! Its been rattling my brain all weekend! I actually had a cake to make this past weekend and I wanted it to be a square, but the cake was too soft and the fondant rippled = ( So then I ended up staying up all night, re-baked the cake into a round and then covered it with fondant. It looked much better, but still I wasn't 100% satified with the fondant covering on the round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%