Substitute For Gladiolus Or Something That Will Match?

Decorating By ChristysCakes88 Updated 25 May 2010 , 2:10pm by all4cake

ChristysCakes88 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake coming up and they are using gladiolus for their centerpieces. They wanted an edible flower topper on their cake which is just a very simple 2 tier(small wedding) with dragees and ribbon borders. I'm not the best at flowers so I usually buy them from my local cake supply store but they don't carry anything like Gladiolus. Anything you can suggest that would match with gladiolus??

5 replies
ChristysCakes88 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 6

Anybody??? Really looking for some ideas here...I am still not sure what would go with the gladiolus for this cake. TIA

WendyB Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 6

What color(s) are they using?

Here is a flower site that might help:

all4cake Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 6

My favorite flower!

Looking at the site WendyB posted, clusters of petunias look like they would work in a pinch...

ChristysCakes88 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by WendyB

What color(s) are they using?

Here is a flower site that might help:

Their colors are yellow and white. It's a very neutral wedding. They are kind of going for a country theme. The centerpieces are going to be very large mason jars filled with the gladiolus. She said the topper did not have to have gladiolus in it but could be something that would match well. But I am just drawing a blank....

all4cake Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 6

I had an idea! what if you piped royal onto wires for the stalk. Then, made royal icing petunias and attached them to the stalk when dried, in the same flow as gladiolus? You could 'ruffle' the edges of the petunias a bit with a damp paint brush...

I reckon it would be like making a petunia/lily...a six-petaled petunia instead of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%