Cake Stacking And Sculpting??? Help!

Decorating By deescuppycakes Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:41pm by deescuppycakes

deescuppycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there i am a some what newbi lol.. I have a few questions and came across this site and LOVED it. You all are very helpful and talented and i know i will come on here often with questions icon_smile.gif here we go...

1) I am makeing a wedding cake 12-9-6 how tall should each teir be for the best look? It is my first wedding cake.

2) for the grooms cake he wants a army tank. What is the best cake mix to use for sculpting and should i freeze the cake? i didnt know if that would make the fondant melt/sticky.

I am useing fondant on both cakes and this is my first sculpting and wedding cake so im nervous. If you have any web site or vids that would be great too!

3 replies
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to cc. icon_biggrin.gif

In my opinion, for the wedding cake, tiers should be at least 4 inches. Usually all of my cakes have 4 inch tiers. I just like tall cakes. Are you making a stacked wedding cake? Have you stacked a cake before? I'm only asking because you said it is your first wedding cake.

For sculpted cakes I use the Durable Wedding/3-D Cake recipe found here on cc in the "most saved" recipes. I have carved cakes just fine without freezing but some say it's easier to carve is frozen or partially frozen.
If you do freeze your cake it should be completely thawed before applying your fondant. NEVER cover a frozen cake with fondant.

There are some great tutorials on youtube by Planet Cake, Edna and others on how to cover a cake with fondant and how to stack a cake.

Good luck with your cakes.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4

I like the WASC recipe by kakeladi in the recipe section and I use Duncan Hines mixes for it. I always freeze my cakes before I carve them, waaay easier less crumbling.

deescuppycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much mamaw. 4" sound pretty good. Yes i have stacked cakes before but wasnt sure on wedding cakes what would be a good size teir. Im so nervous because wedding cakes are remembered for ever and i want it to be perfect. The US army tank cake it going to be a tuffy lol. but i think i found a good site to help me with that.

I have found sooooooo much info on this site and its amazing.

Imma practise on that recipy and some carving before i start. some practise runs icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%