Luster Dust/disco Dust???

Decorating By jodineelsen Updated 25 May 2010 , 7:50pm by BlakesCakes

jodineelsen Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 8

I have been reading so much stuff on cakes......I am curious about the dusts...
I have seen several types each with different effects...

my question is about the disco dust ( really sparkley ones) I have seen that the luster dust can be mixed with (gin/vodka) alcohol to make a paint I guess you would call it...can this be done with the sparkley one and it still sparkle after it dries? I was thinking of using it as an eye shadow for a gumpaste figure but I still want it to sparkle shoudl it go on dry or shoudl I mix it ?

thanks in advance Jodi

7 replies
NJCakeDiva Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 8

I believe Tonedna here from CC and You Tube did a great demonstration on differences in each kind of dusts. You can chek out her website www.designmeacake.com or type in her name on youtube and search her videos. She does some of the best tutorials thumbs_up.gif

jodineelsen Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 8

awesome thank you

Dreme Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 8

I have all of the dust. I use disco dust with a tylose/water mixture. Use very little tylose and let it sit in the water until it becomes a little like glue. Paint the mixture where you want the disco dust and then apply the dust over it with a dry brush. This mixture does not work with any other dust.

Hope that helps.

jodineelsen Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 8

yes thank you dreme

BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8

I know that most people won't eat gum paste figures and I love the idea of using disco/pixie dust for eyeshadow, but I wanted to reinforce that disco/pixie dust, although non-toxic, is not edible.

They are finely ground PLASTIC glitter. It is NON-TOXIC because it isn't poisonous and shouldn't be harmful if ingested.

Disco Dusts and Pixie Dusts are recommended for items that will be removed and not eaten.

Post pics of your "beauty queen"!
Rae

jodineelsen Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I know that most people won't eat gum paste figures and I love the idea of using disco/pixie dust for eyeshadow, but I wanted to reinforce that disco/pixie dust, although non-toxic, is not edible.

They are finely ground PLASTIC glitter. It is NON-TOXIC because it isn't poisonous and shouldn't be harmful if ingested.

Disco Dusts and Pixie Dusts are recommended for items that will be removed and not eaten.

Post pics of your "beauty queen"!
Rae




well that is a great help....I kept seeing things that said not for consumption but then other places I looked said they were.....thank you

BlakesCakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 8

Welcome to CC!

Glad you feel that my info was helpful.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%