Using Stencils?

Baking By newb2 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm by verono

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 16

I bake just for fun and was recently introduced to the idea of using stencils for cookies. Is there a special brush to use for food or is it a regular paint brush? Also, do places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby carry cookie stencils/brushes or do they need to be ordered online? What is used to do the stenciling? I saw an example of luster dust that I love the look of but what else is used? thanks.

Any tips for a newbie?

15 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 16

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml there are a series of stencil videos here that you might find interesting.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 16

There are also some stencil video's here on Cake Central.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 16

Hobby Lobby sells Wilton brushes but I just bought a big pack of kids nylon bristle paint brushes - much cheaper and I just use them for decorating. Actually I have done cookie stencils with royal icing and a flat spatula (you can see them in my photos) and I am going to try airbrushing with my stencils for a graduation party. On the videos they also show using those sponge pouncers for stenciling - those are in the paint aisle too and as long as they are clean - no problem.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:47am
post #5 of 16

I do alot of stenciling on cookies and I use royal icing. I have never used a brush. I use palette knives. The nice thing about using the royal is that it dries very quickly.

I prefer using culinary stencils purchased at the above website. They are of much higher quality and will last a lot longer.

You can stencil with various mediums.

Hope this helps

Rose(cookiemookie)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 16

I bought that pack of Wilton brushes. One year later and the paint is flaking off. It's annoying the heck out of me and makes me wonder just what makes them food safe.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 16

The thicker the stencil - the easier it will be to use. Some of the stecils you find at craft stores are flimsy and hard to work with.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:54am
post #8 of 16

Rose, i must say that your cookies are absolutely exquisite!

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 16

Has anyone attempted this with Glace? I would love to stencil an intricate monogram and dust it, but need some guidance...I really like the raised look of some of the monograms and other stencils I have seen (did anyone see the green bumble bees on the round white cookies?!?! I forget where I saw them, but it opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities!)

I don't work w/ royal icing so not sure that I want to delve into that to monogram on top of Glace, but maybe I need to?

Thanks so much! Hopefully I will someday have something to contribute rather than just asking all the time!

~Kelly

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCreativeCookie

Has anyone attempted this with Glace? I would love to stencil an intricate monogram and dust it, but need some guidance...I really like the raised look of some of the monograms and other stencils I have seen (did anyone see the green bumble bees on the round white cookies?!?! I forget where I saw them, but it opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities!)

I don't work w/ royal icing so not sure that I want to delve into that to monogram on top of Glace, but maybe I need to?

Thanks so much! Hopefully I will someday have something to contribute rather than just asking all the time!

~Kelly

For stenciling, I'm using RI over dry glace icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 16

Does anyone make their own stencils with the cricut?

verono Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Does anyone make their own stencils with the ?

I do !! LOVE IT !!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

kittykat416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittykat416 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCreativeCookie

~Kelly

I tried stenciling with Glace, but found it was too gooey/sticky and the stencil wouldn't lift off cleanly.
So I now do a base of Glace, and use Royal Icing for the stenciling

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 16

verono........What material do you use for your stencils?

Love the fairy cookie.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 16

I also am curious what you use.

I love the material they use at culinary stencils. It's sturdy, just the right thickness, and very durable.

I really dislike the material Wilton uses. It's never punched out all the way, difficult to remedy,resulting in usually throwing it out because it got ruined. Granted they are cheap, but still.

I'd love to make my own stencils. The possibilities would be endless!!!!

verono Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 16

I took some blank plastic sheet from a local craft store.. Not sturdy enough but for now, i'm ok with it.. trying to find something better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%