Baseball Cap Cake Size

Decorating By Mamatoboys Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:51pm by Mamatoboys

Mamatoboys Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I'm making a cake for my father-in-law and brother-in-law to celebrate their birthdays this weekend. I wanted to put two baseball caps on one cake. Since the party will be small (family only) I was hoping to make a 9x13 cake for the bottom. My question is: Can I use the Wilton ball pan for the caps? Or is it too big for the two caps to fit on a 9x13? I've never seen the ball pan. If that doesn't work, I'll just carve the cakes out of rounds, but I thought the ball pan would simplify things icon_smile.gif . Also, do I need to put cake boards under the hats? The cake will be traveling by car for about 2 hrs.

Thanks!

5 replies
cakesbymark Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 6

the ball pan would be too large for a 9x13 if you did 2 hats......
try using the mini ball pan instead

Mamatoboys Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 6

How small is the mini ball pan..I'm picturing it the size of a cupcake. Wouldn't that be too small, or are the mini ball pans larger than a cupcake?

cakesbymark Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoboys

How small is the mini ball pan..I'm picturing it the size of a cupcake. Wouldn't that be too small, or are the mini ball pans larger than a cupcake?

they are about the size of a cupcake, can you just make one hat and use the ball pan for that...

jammjenks Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 6

I agree that the ball pan would be too big to fit two of them and their brims. The ball pan is about 6" across, so putting two of them would be 12" + their brims. I guess, technically, you could do it if they are side by side and up next to each other, but it'd be a tight fit. If you could up the sheet size to an 11X15, then it may work.

Here's one I did on a 10X10 square if it will help you visualize.
LL

Mamatoboys Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the pic..that ball pan is bigger than I thought. I'd like to do 2 hats kind of to represent both guys by making the hats for their favorite teams. Since the cake is only for family (9 adults and 3 kids) maybe I'll just make the hats with no cake underneath. We're vacationing for the weekend and everyone will be eating off the cake all weekend so that will probably be enough - I think. Anyone know how many servings for the ball pan? Would it be about the same as a double layer 6"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%