David Austin Roses

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 26 May 2010 , 6:07pm by marthajo1

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:44am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. I have had a request from a bride to have David austin roses on her cake. I had never heard of them before but have googled them and they are very detailed.. Does anyone have any idea on how to make these roses from gumpaste? Is there cutters available? I have done abit of a search but have come up empty handed so far. i have attched a photo of the actual flowers to show you what they look like.
Thanks in advance for any help icon_smile.gif
Rach
LL

9 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #2 of 10

I have some of these in my garden and they are spectacular!! The only way I might suggest is perhaps starting off like you would for a carnation and adding rose petals, get tooth picks or cocktail sticks ready because I'm sure however you do them there's going to be a TON of frilling! Good luck and please post pics when you do some! icon_smile.gif

wildwolves Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:46am
post #3 of 10

still no luck finding anyhting on David Austin roses but i was thinking that maybe i could use the peony cutters that i have and arrange them a little differently.. They are similar to the David Austins.. I have attached a pic below.... what does everyone think???
LL

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:19am
post #4 of 10

The rose I made for my most recent pic was supposed to be a David Austin (white 3 tier with bling in my pics). I don't think I nailed it completely but what I tried to do was make a normal rose (I used the jem 5 petal cutter) but made sure the petals in the middle were rolled as thin as I could get them and then "frilled" them as much as I could so they folded over on themselves, and tried to get a lot more rows of petals in the centre.

Good luck - I hope that helps!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 10

I think starting out like a carnation is a good idea, then a couple of rows with the 5 petal rose cutter over that. Definitely some experimenting! Good Luck, and post pictures when you get!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 10

wow those are pretty amazing looking.
goodluck, the carnation idea is the way to start i think aswell

wildwolves Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the tips guys..
Bunsen you cake is fantastic!
i think ill try a few different ideas and then show them to the bride and she can choose which one she likes the best.. icon_smile.gif that way i'm safe lol
Ill post some pictures once i have some made icon_smile.gif
Thanks so much for all the help, i love CC! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 10

Some people call them cabbage roses.
I can't wait to see how yours turn out. Good Luck!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 10

wow those are beautiful, and your cakes, i'm sure you make roses, but i like the 50/50 better, i found the gumpaste broke really easy just being next to each other, or picking them up. for such a labor intensive flower, i'd use 50/50 just a thought

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%