How Do I Get Crystal Sugar To Stick To Fondant?

Decorating By vanki Updated 24 May 2010 , 11:41pm by vanki

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how to get sugar crystals to stick on fondant? Like the picture attached.
LL

6 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 7

Never done this before, what about thinned out piping gel. Put some sugar in yr hand and blow through a straw, close to the cake. let me know if this works

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 7

I've done it many times...piping gel brushed on with a paint brush. Works awesome!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure I'd blow on the cake. Not trying to start a debate, just putting it out there.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 7

yep, piping gel, then I take my smoother and literally pour the sugar on it and pull it up the sides of the cake. Just make sure you put it in a pan to catch the excess.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Not sure I'd blow on the cake. Not trying to start a debate, just putting it out there.

Yeah - it's a food safety thing - you could be blowing germs all over that cake! (I'm also a nurse)

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 7

Let me see if i understand. Do you fondant the cake completely, brush a thin layer of piping gel and then use a smoother to put on the sugar?

Its a very pretty technique. A customer was hinting that she might want a cake similar and I just wasn't sure how difficult it would be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%