Buttercream

Baking By melanies_mama Updated 24 May 2010 , 5:52pm by mamawrobin

melanies_mama Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #1 of 13

okay i have a couple of questions about buttercream first off which is better all shortning,all butter, or a mix of both?
also do i really need meringue powder or is it optional and what are the benefits of using meringue powder vs. not using it?
and should i use a recipe which calls for whipping cream or no?

12 replies
tonimarie Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 13

depends on the kinds of icing you want. If you want super white, then use all shortening.......butter will make it off white. I prefer eating icing with butter, but decorating with all shortening. I love sugarshack's icing and also indy debi's icing...both in the recipe section icon_smile.gif

suzied Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 13

I make my icing only with butter, bcos butter tastes better. If you want taste its butter. The colour is ofcourse yellowish. I dont add any meringue powder, should i be? i dont know. Must give it a try and see what happens.

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #4 of 13

I use Indydebi's recipe and I absolutely love it. I can get is smooth as a babys bottom. I'm gong to try sugarshacks one of these days. I use all shortening based because of heat and humidity issues.

aprilblack Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:23am
post #5 of 13

I use Sugarsgacls personally and it is wonderful.. You would be amazed and how light and creamy it is.. It is all shortening and no meringue powder... Sometimes if I am in a hurry I will whip up Edna's recipe. Her is half butter/shortening.

prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 13

If you use all shortening, then, IMHO, it's not buttercream.

I make Italian Meringue Buttercream.

Loucinda Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 13

I use sugarshacks recipe....it is chosen hands down over an all butter buttercream and IMBC. I do what my clients prefer, and that is what they choose. Give your clients the options, and let them make the choice!

Shortning based "buttercream" has been called that for decades, it isn't up to me to change the term! icon_wink.gif

Now, my DH choose IMBC - that is his favorite, right next to Rich's Bettercreme. icon_confused.gif

I also don't use any meringue powder in any of my recipes.

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 13

Loucinda, I don't use meringue powder in any of mine either. I also don't use cream of tartar. I've never had the need to and I think it affects the taste.

cakegirl71 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 13

I was told that meringue powder is good for cakes that would be exposed to heat.Like outside in the summer.The icing will hold better.

aprilblack Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 13

I meant to type Sugarshack's recipe on my earlier reply.. I think I must have been up WAY too early!! icon_smile.gif

tmelrose Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 13

cakegirl71 is you use an all butter buttercream it is helpful to add the meringue powder. My husband prefers all butter bc and once I forgot the MP and I quickly realized with my icing because it was so soft and melty.

deescuppycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 13

Where can you find Indy debi's recipe for buttercream. i have had lots of people suggest thats the best and i have been looking. Im new to the site and keep looking. Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deescuppycakes

Where can you find Indy debi's recipe for buttercream. i have had lots of people suggest thats the best and i have been looking. Im new to the site and keep looking. Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

Look under recipes, it's in the "most saved".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%