Are Tylose And Gum Tex The Same Thing?

Decorating By bates123 Updated 24 May 2010 , 3:22am by Texas_Rose

bates123 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 3

My MMF has been too soft and sticky lately. I've read that if you add a little tylose it will help stiffen it. It that true? I can't find tylose in my town, but I have found gum tex. Are these the same thing. If so, how much should I add? How much do I need to add if I'm making bows or making sculpted figures?

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 3

Yes, they're pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I think that tylose is a bit "stronger" and that sometimes gum tex can give a yellowish cast to white gum paste.

There's no exact science to what you need to add. It's trial and error and can depend on heat & humidity.

Try adding a 1/2 tsp. to 1lb. Make a test piece and if you don't like the result, add a little bit more until you get the results you like.

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 3

When it's humid, sometimes MMF needs a little less water than otherwise. You might try that first.

The main difference between gum tex and tylose is that gum tex is slightly pinkish and has a distinctive smell. Tylose is white and has no smell or taste.

When you're making figures, add enough that you can feel your MMF start to stiffen up a little bit. You can make bows with straight MMF if you have several days for the pieces to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%