How Do You Control Humidity?

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 26 May 2010 , 1:52am by ShopGrl1128

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #1 of 6

Hello friends,

I refrigerate all my fondant cakes because I've found out this is a great way to avoid bulging, air bubbles, cracks, and primarily because when I have a busy week I can decorate some cakes on Thursday put then on my refrigator and decorate the rest on Friday.

I put all my cakes in a moving brown box and seal the box with tape and put them on my big refrigerator and they normally look great until the customer picks them up, I live in the Northeast and the weather is cold most of the year.

I never have a problem with the cakes sweating in the cool months but now with the hot weather is a whole different story, the store is normally very warm and opening and closing the fridge makes it hard keeping the hot air from the cakes, which creates the humidity.

How do you normally manage this? is there a way to control the humidity?
I've been thinking of buying dessicant to put on the frigde but I can't find it locally.

TIA

5 replies
ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

I had probs with humidity myself this past weekend. I often have the central air running. That's the only thing that seems to help.

I also am looking into a dehumidifier. I live in the midwest so the humidity is really bad here in the summer (most of the year really). I hope to purchase one this year as I want to try more with making candy and the humidity is a huge factor with that.

Don't know if this helps at all but you are not alone!

icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 6

We have a portable dehumidifier that I set up in the kitchen the night before and run all night long. It really dries the house out (Central NY). It was about $130 at Target. We use it all summer, cakes or not. HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6

Prayer, pleading, and begging; but that didn't work too well last year....

ShopGrl1128 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your comments, I will try the dehumidifier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%