How Do I Keep My Icing From "cracking"

Decorating By grammaof3 Updated 24 May 2010 , 1:48pm by grammaof3

grammaof3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm having a hard time keeping my icing from cracking when I move the cake, help please!! I use buttercream icing.. Thanks to ya'll for any help I may get..

5 replies
awatterson Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

I think that you may need to put a stronger board under your cake. I had the same problem. You can either use a cake drum or I also have used 2 boards.

poohsmomma Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

I agree with awatterson^^^^
If your cake board isn't strong enough, just the slightest bowing or bending when you move your cake can cause BC to crack.

prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

Ditto. The problem's not the icing, but the board on which the cake sits.

chellescountrycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 6

Yep, mine do it- and I KNOW what the problem is- I just am stubborn, or dumb. LOL

I started using foamcore boards (found in the school supply section at my walmart with the big paper boards,-- I cant think of the name of them--) All I can find is the thinner ones, so I put more than one together. and I try to remember to take a regular cake board and put it under, cutting it to fit the cake exactly. stick it on the foamcore (with a slash of buttercream) and then if I use two foamcoreb boards I do gllue them together the same way icon_smile.gif

grammaof3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much!! I thought that might be the problem, but I wasn't for sure. now I know... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%