How Do I Keep My Icing From "cracking"

Decorating By grammaof3 Updated 24 May 2010 , 1:48pm by grammaof3

grammaof3  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammaof3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm having a hard time keeping my icing from cracking when I move the cake, help please!! I use buttercream icing.. Thanks to ya'll for any help I may get..

5 replies
 awatterson  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

I think that you may need to put a stronger board under your cake. I had the same problem. You can either use a cake drum or I also have used 2 boards.

poohsmomma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

I agree with awatterson^^^^
If your cake board isn't strong enough, just the slightest bowing or bending when you move your cake can cause BC to crack.

prterrell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

Ditto. The problem's not the icing, but the board on which the cake sits.

chellescountrycakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 6

Yep, mine do it- and I KNOW what the problem is- I just am stubborn, or dumb. LOL

I started using foamcore boards (found in the school supply section at my walmart with the big paper boards,-- I cant think of the name of them--) All I can find is the thinner ones, so I put more than one together. and I try to remember to take a regular cake board and put it under, cutting it to fit the cake exactly. stick it on the foamcore (with a slash of buttercream) and then if I use two foamcoreb boards I do gllue them together the same way icon_smile.gif

grammaof3  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammaof3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 6

thanks so much!! I thought that might be the problem, but I wasn't for sure. now I know... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%